• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I went 3" and now I want to go more...

NCjeepin

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 Laredo with a RE 3" lift consisting of 3" coils up front and add a leafs on the back. I just bought a 2" kit consisting of spacers up front and shackles for the back. The reason I purchased the second kit was because the original lift didn't level my ride out. It sits a little low in the back and my thought was that shackles would fix the problem. Well now, after dwelling on it for several days and after reading many posts on this forum, I am thinking about adding both the shackles and the poly spacers up front. Going that route I understand that I am going to have to increase brake line length, install adjustable draglinks, and an adjustable control arm and maybe full rear springs. Am I wasting my time parting this stuff out, or should I buy a complete 5" lift? If parting it out seems the way to go, I am looking the above parts if anyone has them for sale. Thanks for any advise...

NC Jeepin'
92 Laredo, 3" lift, 31X10.5 AT's

I've had the same 3" lift you had, until recently.....I just bought and installed 4.5" rockrawler coils, rough country lower arms and track bar relocating bracket, and rusty's 1.5" shackles and brakeline extensions. Took about 6 hrs. and $310 for the parts and $ for the alignment. The ride hieght is 5" in front and 4" in the rear. giving it a 4.5" lift. I just drove it to the mountains and back, and I loved it. I think I might in the future get a drop pitman arm and lower the t-case 1" and give it a low profil cross member so I dont loose any ground clearance. I am about to buy bump stops for the front bc with the swaybars disconnected, it'll suck my 31's into those wheel wells pretty far. Hope this helps,
-John

NCjeepin said:
Am I wasting my time parting this stuff out, or should I buy a complete 5" lift? If parting it out seems the way to go...

Well, buying a complete kit is certainly easier and will likely save you a bunch of head aches in the long run. If you're looking to save money then you could get the spacers and shackles for less than $200 with shocks. Even cheaper if you can find them used. It's really up to you and what you want to spend.

remember tho with that two inches more each way it probably wont even you out. It will stil sag in the back. You man have to get an inch block to even it out. Thats what i did with my AAL and it evened out perfect. Im also raising to about 4.5to 5 inches. Im parting out the pieces used and it is going to end up being fairly inexpensive....only thing tyhat may hurt me is ending up buying a trac bar.

Thanks for all of the information. I heard last night as I has ranting on the phone to a buddy of mine (who also has a XJ with a 5" lift) that you don't have to by a trackbar. He was saying that there is a way to drill the trackbar support on the axle end to accomidate for the lift. He said that some companies were selling a template that allowed you to drill the hole for relocation. I think that is what I am going to try before I spend the money on a trackbar. Now if I were going to lift it over 5", then I would rethink it, but if I ever do lift it over 5", I am going to the Skyjacker 6" with the subframe unit that bolts to the unibody rails and provides a longarm kit. It also comes with a modified trackbar.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the information.

NCJeepin

NCjeepin said:
Thanks for all of the information. I heard last night as I has ranting on the phone to a buddy of mine (who also has a XJ with a 5" lift) that you don't have to by a trackbar. He was saying that there is a way to drill the trackbar support on the axle end to accomidate for the lift. He said that some companies were selling a template that allowed you to drill the hole for relocation. I think that is what I am going to try before I spend the money on a trackbar. Now if I were going to lift it over 5", then I would rethink it, but if I ever do lift it over 5", I am going to the Skyjacker 6" with the subframe unit that bolts to the unibody rails and provides a longarm kit. It also comes with a modified trackbar.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the information.

NCJeepin

Who is the company selling the template?

i have seen an extention bracket for sale on Ebay that bolts in the existing bracket and extends it about 1" ..... was like $25..... rather do that than drill it myself.... if the AAL didnt even it out i would go for new rear springs... or a shackle and a 3/4" spacer in the front to level it...

mike

Back