• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff carrier spacer

bottleworks

NAXJA Forum User
So, as I understand it, If I get a D35 ARB locker that's designed for 3.08 to 3.31 ratio...And I want to run 3.55 to 4:56 gearing, I can have a spacer made to go between the ring and the carrier.

Thus making the carrier like a 3.55 to 4.88 carrier? Who, if anyone, carries these spacers? Randy's R &P?

bottleworks said:
So, as I understand it, If I get a D35 ARB locker that's designed for 3.08 to 3.31 ratio...And I want to run 3.55 to 4:56 gearing, I can have a spacer made to go between the ring and the carrier.

Thus making the carrier like a 3.55 to 4.88 carrier? Who, if anyone, carries these spacers? Randy's R &P?
Actually, check Randy's Tech section - he recommends thick gears or the correct carrier and not spacers.

Jim

Spacers like to compress, losing tension on the ring gear bolts, and causing drastic problems.

Just get the thick gear, or quit being a cheap bastage and pay $50 for a new carrier of the proper type. You ARE putting an ARB in anyway... thus, one could assume you're not pinching pennies

I believe the ARB replaces the carrier so a $50 carrier is not an option. I assume from his post that he has a lead on an ARB for the higher gears and wants to use lower gears.

<duh>/ Missed that one.

completely spaced it. So yeah, go with the thick gearset.....

It appears that a thick set isn't made for the D35. Anyways, the reason why I am thinking about doing this is because if I can get an ARB for $50, I am going to take advantage of it.

Otherwise I wouldn't even mess with the D35. I am not even going to regear to 4.56. Im staying at 3:55 until I can get a hold of a D44.

So, I guess my only choice is a spacer. Who makes them, or is it a custom made deal? How thick is the spacer?

After all, $50 plus staying late one night at work to install it is worth it!

btt...

bottleworks said:
So, I guess my only choice is a spacer. Who makes them, or is it a custom made deal? How thick is the spacer?

I guess no one knows........ :speepin:

I'm almost certain Randy's R&P makes a spacer....

bottleworks, don't get discouraged by lack of responses....

this forum is usually good about supplying info based on first hand info, and it appears as though many have not gone this route.....at least on here.

I don't have any first hand experience USING a spacer, so I wouldn't know where to get one, randys is probably a good bet, or west coast diffs, or check out POR and see where all the dana 61 guys are getting thiers....

as for actually running a spacer, again, no experience, but if i had a chance to grab an arb for the price you are, depending on the cost of the spacer, i'd go for it.

Beezil said:
as for actually running a spacer, again, no experience, but if i had a chance to grab an arb for the price you are, depending on the cost of the spacer, i'd go for it.

Ditto!

Or you can sell it to me for 51$ and Ill do it, then Ill be able to build my 44, but also be locked. :D

Heck, I just used steel washers when I did mine. Worked great for awhile. I went to change gears one day though, and when I removed the carrier bearing caps, the whole carrier fell out onto the floor. I don't think that was a good thing?? :explosion

SewerBoss said:
Heck, I just used steel washers when I did mine. Worked great for awhile. I went to change gears one day though, and when I removed the carrier bearing caps, the whole carrier fell out onto the floor. I don't think that was a good thing?? :explosion

The carrier falling out wasn't the washers fault, I reckon? The washers worked?

bucholzi said:
The carrier falling out wasn't the washers fault, I reckon? The washers worked?

Well, yes and no. The washers worked for awhile. Then they desingrated, allowing slop in the ring gear something awful. This wallered out the carrier bearings. Not a good idea I guess. Of course, neither was running 3.55 gears with 35's, shimming the limited slip so much that it was almost a spool, running no power steering for years, flat towing with a smaller vehicle than the MJ, etc. Come to think of it, I didn't do many smart things with my MJ. :anon:

SewerBoss said:
Well, yes and no. The washers worked for awhile. Then they desingrated, allowing slop in the ring gear something awful. This wallered out the carrier bearings. Not a good idea I guess. Of course, neither was running 3.55 gears with 35's, shimming the limited slip so much that it was almost a spool, running no power steering for years, flat towing with a smaller vehicle than the MJ, etc. Come to think of it, I didn't do many smart things with my MJ. :anon:

dude, thats ft. wayne style.

Back