• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 rebuild "special" tools/ torque converters

TJS93xj

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any tranny specific tools need for rebuilding the AW-4? As I said earlier I work in the aviation industry so any tools I dont have I should have acess to if they aren't automotive tranny specific.

When rebuilding the AW-4 should the torque converter also be replaced? Would hate to do the tranny and engine only to have the torque converter die a short time later. (that's usally how my luck goes) If the torque converters are somewhat bulletproof I wont worry about it.

From what I've uncovered, the torque converters used with the Jeep AW4 are pretty damn near bulletproof - and I've not managed to kill one yet...

There are some oddballs I found necessary, but I managed to make what I needed (two bridge pullers with metric studs and a "chopstick"-style snap-ring plier, as there is an internal snapring in there that is about 6" or so, and I didn't have any pliers big enough to handle it. It's an internal, and you probably have the pliers....)

As long as you are careful, the valve body is also pretty easy - but take a Polaroid or a digital picture before you move ANYTHING after you split the valve body! Apart from that, they are pretty simple inside, and information on the rebuild can be found in the OEM FSM and the ATSG AW4 service manual is posted at groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers, in the "Files" section, as a .pdf document. Page 58 is duplicated and 59 is missing, but the information for the rebuild is all there.

Why are you rebuilding the box? I had to REALLY abuse mine before I had to get in there....

5-90

I made my own puller.

two cases where it is necessary...

removing the oil pump *maybe* depends on how fresh the o-ring is. Fisrt one I did, the puller was needed. Second one I did, I installed two metric bolts as "handles" to remove the oil pump.

lastly, the puller is used as a "pusher"....You need to compress the 1-2 servo against its "spring disc" in order to remove the snap ring. Yo'll need to repeat this process to re-install.

other than that, no specila tools are necessary.

I forgot to mention on the other post. I get my rebuild kits from my local transstar rep.....

check the transstar site for your local dist.

I have the notes on check ball locations for the valve body. Both the fsm and atsg are misleading.

If you are rebuilding the tranny always always replace the torque converter with a new/ reman one....how bad would it suck to rebuild the tranny and not replace the converter to only blow the converter and then the tranny once more..........the converter has many,many places that will trap and hold metal fragments from the tranny to only release them after you have rebuilt the tranny....:eek: :mad:

Back