• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Properly Installed Infant Seat?

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Was waondering if any of the parents out there know how to properly install the baby seat. Do you use the tiedown hooks in the cargo area?

i am not a parent, but dont use the cargo area...
the xj is a unibody vehicle and thanks to safety regulations, they have "crumple" zones in that area in case of a rear end collision...
therefore a baby in this area would be in trouble.
my brothers child seat goes in the backseat and uses the seatbelt for securing it in...

i would say go by a fire department, they should know the proper way.
they have classes(15 min. demos) around here

I really hope you weren't asking about "stowing" your kid in the back.

What I hope you mean is, the fact that most good car seats have a tether that hooks to a point in most new car's back dash area. If this is the case then I say it will be okay to hook into that tie down in the back of your XJ. I did when I used car seats for my kids and it keeps them secure in a head on. The car seat won't move, period.

For thase that don't understand, it's a strap that attatches to the head area of the car seat and acts like an anchor keeping the seat from leaning forward in an impact or hard stop.

Basically, use it if the strap is long enough. HTH

I would not use the tiedown hooks. They probably aren't strong enough. If you need to tether the seat to the floor, you should probably drill through the cargo area floor (making doubly sure, of course, not to hit the gas tank, etc.) and install a proper anchor.

While some child seats work without a tether, I'd be hesitant to use one on the back seat of an XJ because I don't know if I'd trust the seatback to stay latched. That might be all right, especially if your XJ has shoulder belts and the seat utilizes them, but you should probably check with the seat manufacturer/instructions on that. You might also be able to get away with using the shoulder belt mounting point for the tether, since the point of the tether is simply to keep the seat from flipping forward, and it needn't be super snug in a straight line. Again, I'd expect the seat instructions to help with that question. If your XJ doesn't have shoulder belts in back, the mounting holes are still there under the trim, but the reinforcements are not, so you'd have to do some reinforcing. Still, if the angle is good enough, that might well make for a better anchor point than the floor, less likely to be disturbed by cargo. I don't think you could run a tether to the anchor points from the center seat position, though.

It's been many years since I've needed to do this (my "littlest" one just turned 21!), but as I recall, the anchors for these are not as hefty as regular seatbelt anchors, but they still need to hold up to a few G's. This is one area where a good old fashioned sedan has the edge. My 72 Mercedes still carries its history: 3 tether anchors in the package shelf!

Back