• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be changing my fuel tank soon and thought it would be a good idea to swap out the fuel pump while the tank is out. Any suggestions? I see the NAPA web page offers 2, Bosch replacement and Walbro. Anyone who has swapped out their pump, I would appreciate your input.

All I can say is don't get the cheapie pump from Autozone. I went through three of those before I finally got the stock replacement - a Bosch. The ones from Autozone were really noisy.

SPSERG said:
I am going to be changing my fuel tank soon and thought it would be a good idea to swap out the fuel pump while the tank is out. Any suggestions? I see the NAPA web page offers 2, Bosch replacement and Walbro. Anyone who has swapped out their pump, I would appreciate your input.
Don't get a replacement full assembly from JC Whitney or carparts.com, same place. You have to bend it so it fits right and it's noisy as hell!
Mike Harris

One might be the entire assembly the other just the pump. As a side note I had to replace mine and wen to Kragen, Autozone and Napa. All three had the exact same pump. And yes it is very loud. Also the polarity is not marked (or at least on the one I got) so when I hooked it up just like the original it was blowing instead of sucking so I had to pull it back out and reverse the leads.

8700XJS

My own opinion, go with OEM dealer supplied. Other than the sender problem iin 97/98 their pumps seem to last the longest and to me a liftime guarantee is worth zip if I have to drop the rear hook and skid to replace it every year or two...

Rich, you mentioned a sender problem in 97 and 98. What is this? I have been having the fuel guage dropping to empty intermittently on my '98. Thanks for any inf. Jeff

The 'paint' they use to be the resistor on the sending unit gets eaten off by the fuel or whatever or it was just a crappy jobber that did it. The only fix is a new sender which sounds ok till you find out that the sender is part of the pump and end up buying the whole thing as they don't sell them as seperate pieces... Someone here a few months ago said they did sell the sender seperately and he would get the part number but he never did find it out...

Back