• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering upgrade...maybe conversion

totaledXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need some opinions and advice. I have an '89 XJ with a 5.5 RE XD Lift with 2" coil spacers. I've pretzeled the tie rod for the last time and am gonna go ahead and upgrade it. My question is should I just upgrade the tie rod and drag link or go ahead and do a OTK conversion also. I've looked at a couple including Curries tie rod replacement and Rustys OTK conversion kit. Haven't talked to any of them yet to get the low down on either one. I also talked to M.O.R.E. about there conversion kit but it dosen't look like there going to put it into production.

I know the pros of going OTK (getting it up out the way), but does it improve the handling or steering when you do this? If it doesn't I'm not sure it's worth the extra $.

Does anybody have any input on the above mentioned or have others you would recommend. I need all the pros and cons I can get.

Thanks!

I have the Currie steering setup on my jeep. I got that setup because I didn't have the time or ability to do the OTK steering setup correctly. The OTK requires you to raise the axle end track bar mount to counteract the bump steer that the OTK will cause. I haven't heard good things about the Rusty's HD tie rod conversion, or the HD OTK conversion he sells (but you know about opinions, right?). I do like the currie steering, although it is big $$$, I do think it was worth it for me. The big problem is that it does nothing about raising the linkage out of harms way.

Bryan

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and played it safe for now and ordered the Currie setup...got too many trailrides coming up to miss out on! I'll play around with the OTK setup in the future. -Thanks

currie set-up is fantastic. i have it on my xj with 7 inches of lift.

greddy

Back