• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual Batteries Setup

brandonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've read some suggestions in using an XJ Diesel battery tray from overseas Cherokees and bolting it in where the air box goes for and area to locate a second battery. We purchased this tray and tryed this but the computer along the fender wall is in the way. As anyone succesfully done this with a computer equiped XJ?
Any other suggestions for dual setup besides the cargo area?
Thanks

brandonsxj said:
I've read some suggestions in using an XJ Diesel battery tray from overseas Cherokees and bolting it in where the air box goes for and area to locate a second battery. We purchased this tray and tryed this but the computer along the fender wall is in the way. As anyone succesfully done this with a computer equiped XJ?
Thanks
I took my computer off the side and laid it down flat, behind where the new battery is. Drilled and tapped some holes, and it's stayed put ever since, no problems for a year. It's not the most ingenious, but it's simple. ...BTW, mine's a 98.

jeo said:
I took my computer off the side and laid it down flat, behind where the new battery is. Drilled and tapped some holes, and it's stayed put ever since, no problems for a year. It's not the most ingenious, but it's simple. ...BTW, mine's a 98.
Oh, if you want pics, email me. I think I have some around somewhere...

Did it on my 90, with no compujter problems <computer is in the cabin>

VERY cool setup, too. Use a Ford starter solenoid and a battery isolator- install the isolator as per instructions, and put the ford solenoid in series between the two batteries' positive termninals. Run a switch inside, and if you ever kill the main battery <leave the lights on, etc>, just flip the switch and you're instantly jumpstarted.

Also real handy for long winch sessions.

Every stealership i ask says Sorry and wouldn't let me get the tray, Where did you get yours?? and how much THANKS- Mike
brandonsxj said:
Thanks

I got mine from a dealership...did you find a P/N?

Got mine from a web Jeep dealer. Last one they had in stock. $50 shipped to my door on the fast boat. Tell them it's a European diesel-spec part

It's REAL easy to build a tray with 1/8" 1X1 angle, FYI. Cost all of $5. 30 minutes with the MIG gun

If I had to do it again, I'd go that route.

I got mine from Bell Jeep/Impoorts in Newton, NJ. Darn thing cost me $64 to get it here, but it's the one spec'd in the Mad XJ article, P/N 55174970.
My local dealership parts guy tried to get one through thier channels, but ended up giving me the number to that dealership. As of last week, they supposedly had 9 in stock or something.
Thier phone number in case you want it is(973) 579-2600 or 2900. The guy I talked to was Dylan, and he gave me a 10% discount, I dunno why, but I wasnt gonna ask questions!

Hope this might help a little.

Chris

Back