• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much can they take?

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ok, I know that there is no firm answer, but I'll take opinions and past experiences anyway. How much do I need to fear for my rear axleshafts?
I've got:
4.0L/AW-4/231 to an MJ D44.
Stock 44 axleshafts.
4.88s with a spool.
35" MT/Rs.
West coast dry rocks over the summer.
and the killer: I'm 19.

I know I should carry spare shafts anyway, but I'm wondering if I should get a pair of stock replacements, or a pair of stronger aftermarket shafts, like Superiors or some other manufacturer.
What do you think?

i wouldn't fear at all. u won't brake a 44 shaft. (if u have the money and found some shafts get them)(its always good to have spares) but if u don't i wouldn't worry about it at all.

stoney

I run 33" SSR/TSL's on D44 welded rear and havn't broke anything yet. I do have some stock axle shafts that I traded my drum brakes for when I went to disc. But I would say get some spare stock shafts if you can find a set for around $100 and if so then when you break one then buy a superior or yukon shaft.
DIG IT!

you'll blow those 260x joints before the D44 rear gets a chance to flinch, just run it.

I was going to put 37s on my truck, or 36" SXs, but I decided to stick with 35s simply so I don't even have to be worried. With 33s, open diffs, D35/D30, I was always scared I was going to break something and every little sound got me wondering. I carried spare shafts, but I hated just the though that I might need them or that the carrier or something else would break. (though nothing ever did, despite that picture I have of all 4 tires in the air and spinning on Fordyce :D)

point is, if AT ALL possible, upgrade to the point where you don't worry at all about breaking shafts, especially rear shafts.

44 Shafts Rumor:

Okay, I have a set of 44 shafts sitting in my garage... There is roughly 1/2" difference (measured by eye, not tape :)) between the two shafts. So the whole deal of the rumor (as it was explained to me) is that you use the spare short shaft. Basically if you put it in the long side it will not be fully engaged with the splines, but mostly there (minus about 1/2").

SPOBI Warning: I have no experiance with this, just passing on information I've obtained. :D

I've got two spare 260 DS shafts, two spare 260 disco passenger outer shaft setups, and one spare intermediate disco shaft. :looser: I guess I just need to pick up some diff fluid, a 36mm socket for the hub, and a long long breaker. :D

Oh yeah, I'm open up front.

hey Phil, I paid like $15 for that stupid 36mm socket, and obviously don't need it anymore with my D44. You can have it if you like, I'll be in Davis a bunch between April 2nd-12th. The other thing you can do is carry spare unit/hub/bearing thingys attached to your spare shafts, then you only have to pull the 3 bolts on the knuckle and not the big nut. I also have one of those, a Timken with only 2-3k miles on it, but I would need to get some money for that ($150 new :shocked: )

Phil Weeks said:
Ok, I know that there is no firm answer, but I'll take opinions and past experiences anyway. How much do I need to fear for my rear axleshafts?
I've got:
4.0L/AW-4/231 to an MJ D44.
Stock 44 axleshafts.
4.88s with a spool.
35" MT/Rs.
West coast dry rocks over the summer.
and the killer: I'm 19.

You shouldn't break a rear D44 shaft if you can spin the tires. When you are at risk of breaking one is when it's in a bind, or what we call a wedgie. This is when the rear tire is trying to climb an undercut ledge, or squeezing between rocks, or something like that where the tire is held with virtually no chance to spin. Avoid wedgies and you will likely never break a rear axle shaft. If you get it bouncing badly, it's possible to break a shaft, but you'd probably snap an output shaft before breaking a D44 rear axle.

Don't bounce, and don't get wedged, and you will be fine.......but spares are still a good idea, just in case. :)

I went with Superior alloy shafts when I needed new seals. I didn't have access to a press at the time, so it was cheaper to buy new shafts than to have the old bearings and seals pulled. They didn't leak too bad, and I assume that they'll make good trail spares, but I doubt I'll ever need them. I agree that you'd be miles ahead to get front shafts first, and worry about the rear when you have other problems.

Wheel that thing first, then worry about the rear shafts. And don't put the pedal to the floor when you're stuck.

It looks like you got the front covered.

Back