• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First post and general XJ questions

SUBLIME

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm looking to purchase my first XJ. I've had a 93 Wrangler and a new 81 CJ7 back in high school. From what I want to do and what I have looked into, I want to probably put a 3" lift on one and 31" tires. There isn't a rock within 100 miles of me! It will mostly be use at the beach, moderate trails and must have good road manners. Here is a few of my questions. Are there any year models to stay away from? When did air bags appear? When was the freon switched to the new type? I know to go with the 4.0L.

SUBLIME said:
Hi, I'm looking to purchase my first XJ. I've had a 93 Wrangler and a new 81 CJ7 back in high school. From what I want to do and what I have looked into, I want to probably put a 3" lift on one and 31" tires. There isn't a rock within 100 miles of me! It will mostly be use at the beach, moderate trails and must have good road manners. Here is a few of my questions. Are there any year models to stay away from? When did air bags appear? When was the freon switched to the new type? I know to go with the 4.0L.

1.) Pre 91's dont have as good of a fuel injection system. 91-96 is basically the same.

2.) air bag started in 1995
3.) 94 was the split between r-12 andr 134
4.) word on the street suggests that pre -1997 is less prone to lift problems. I did a 3" Springs front and rear, lower arms from rancho and shocks. NO PROBLEMS at all !! 91 2DR SPORT... Good Luck

FLAME ON !! :flame:

Last edited:
97+ has a much stiffer chassis and better door hinges on the 2-door models
Make sure your new LCA's have rubber (not poly) if you want the best road maners

I lifted my 94 about 3 years ago and finally saved up enough money for some 31" BFG AT/KO's. Rides great, some rubbing on the LCA's at full steering lock. I went with Rusty's lift but do research before you buy, and remember the old adage: "If it seems too good to be true it probably is."

XJbone said:
Less chance of driveline vibration issues on lifted 96 and older models.

Correction: '96 was the first year Jeep used the new transfer case output. The '96s have the same propensity for lift-induced vibrations that the '97 and newer ones have.

JnJ said:
MOD TECH board, why?

I see my post as being no more off topic than the following threads (and many more) that are currently on the Mod Tech board.

"A/C, who needs it, right?"
"Will pre'99 rear flares fit my '99?"
"How to identify a high pinion Dana 30"

Are you just trying to set a newbie straight or what?

The reason NAXJA's forums are so successful is because the club members do a good job policing them and helping to keep post where they belong. Please point out one item in this statement; "Here is a few of my questions. Are there any year models to stay away from? When did air bags appear? When was the freon switched to the new type? I know to go with the 4.0L." which doesn't belong in the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) forum?
"A/C who needs it?" This thread is about MODIFYING the stock AC system.
"Will pre'99 rear flares fit my 99?" Again, talking about removing the OEM flairs and installing some from another application, MODIFYING. This one is borderline but more tech then your questions.
"How to identify a high pinion dana 30" I agree with you on this one. We (I) can't catch them all, just like the police don't ticket every speeder.
Why do you have a problem with me pointing out your error, why not be a man and say " ya, your right, sorry" and move on.

Notice, your post is in it's proper place now.

JnJ said:
The reason NAXJA's forums are so successful is because the club members do a good job policing them and helping to keep post where they belong. Please point out one item in this statement; "Here is a few of my questions. Are there any year models to stay away from? When did air bags appear? When was the freon switched to the new type? I know to go with the 4.0L." which doesn't belong in the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) forum?
"A/C who needs it?" This thread is about MODIFYING the stock AC system.
"Will pre'99 rear flares fit my 99?" Again, talking about removing the OEM flairs and installing some from another application, MODIFYING. This one is borderline but more tech then your questions.
"How to identify a high pinion dana 30" I agree with you on this one. We (I) can't catch them all, just like the police don't ticket every speeder.
Why do you have a problem with me pointing out your error, why not be a man and say " ya, your right, sorry" and move on.

Notice, your post is in it's proper place now.

Well, I also stated that I wanted to put a 3" lift and 31" tires on it (a modification). Hey, I'm over it and I'm not mad. Just seems like I was singled out. For Pete's sake I said I was a first time poster.

No problem, if you watch, you'll see it's not you being singled out.
BTW, you said you wanted to put on the 3" lift and 31s, but you didn't ask any questions about that.

Peace

Back