• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker motor ? for DYNO

mtrxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just tore down my doner motors(the 4.0 was pristine inside)and was wondering about the 258 crank. The motor is of unknown age(I think it is very old though),has the long balencer snout and large counter weights. What do you think of this crank for my stroker? I'm doing the low cost stroker 4.0 piston 258 rods. Will there be any block clearence problems with the counter weights? Thanx, Jeremy

It sounds like you have the '72-'80 heavy crank with 12 counterweights and a 2.48" snout. Those are reputedly the strongest of the 258 cranks. Read the casting no. on the crank. It should be 3214723. If it reads 3235477, it's an '81-'86 4 counterweight light crank. There are no clearance problems with the stroker crank. Since it's an old crank, ask the engine shop to check all the rod and main journal dimensions to ensure they're all consistent and that there's no undue wear. Otherwise the journals will need to be reground and undersize bearings used.
CR on a simple 4.5L stroker with no milling of the block or head will be around 9.7:1. That's not a problem provided you install a longer duration camshaft than stock to bleed off cylinder pressure at low rpm and prevent pinging problems. The most suitable cams are the Crane 753905, CompCams 68-231-4, and the CompCams 68-235-4. You'll need to feed the beast with premium fuel and install oversize injectors (Ford 24lb'ers are the most popular) to make sure that the engine doesn't run too lean (and cause more pinging problems).
Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust by Kolak, 4.6L stroker
- Websites -
Jeep 4.0 performance, 4.6L stroker build-up
- Tech Webpages -
CTS resistor trick, Dual electric fans, IAT sensor relocation, Intake manifold heatshield, MAP adjuster, Oil temp. gauge install
- Info Pages -
Automotive formulae, Jeep 4.0 cam specs, Jeep engine dyno graphs

taurus SHO 6 cylinder also uses 24lbs injectors

edit: good to see you over here to dyno!

came looking for unibody reinforcment info, but it's nice to see familiar faces

Back