• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Identify a high pinion Dana 30

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I just bought a 2000 model Cherokee and got a print out of the specs. The printout told me that the truck was actually built in 1999. The printout says that the front axle is a Dana 30/181MM. How can I tell if I have a high pinion or low pinion Dana 30? I know that in 2000 the axle was changed but some owners have said that they have high pinions. Thanks for the info!

Shifty said:
Hi I just bought a 2000 model Cherokee and got a print out of the specs. The printout told me that the truck was actually built in 1999. The printout says that the front axle is a Dana 30/181MM. How can I tell if I have a high pinion or low pinion Dana 30? I know that in 2000 the axle was changed but some owners have said that they have high pinions. Thanks for the info!

look at the axle where it meets the front drie shaft... does the shaft connect at the top of the pumpkin or bottom, top=high pinion

Shifty said:
How can I tell if I have a high pinion or low pinion Dana 30?

you really answered your own question.

look at the pinion, if its on the top half of the diff. housing, its a high pinion.

if its on the bottom half.....

Thanks I'll check on that tomorrow. The truck is still at the the dealer getting its final clean and complimentary wax. It also has a Track-Lock differential. How well do these perform?

Shifty said:
It also has a Track-Lock differential. How well do these perform?

Depends who you ask. I liked my Track-Lok and it served me very well up until I replaced it with an ARB. But it is a Limited slip not a locker. They have a bad reputation. But like I said, mine worked great.

B-loose

Shifty said:
Thanks I'll check on that tomorrow. The truck is still at the the dealer getting its final clean and complimentary wax. It also has a Track-Lock differential. How well do these perform?

Mine worked fine until I put 33s on it; just couldn't handle the torque required for them. The 31s worked okay with it & shouldn't have any trouble at all with the stockers...

Shifty said:

You have a 100% chance of it being a low pinion. Alot of 2000s were built in 1999, mine was. It doesn't matter what the actual build date was, rather year model.

Back