• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cyro treating stock axles?

Gary E

NAXJA Member #687
Anybody cyro treated a stock shaft with good results? or will it still break just as easy, just shatter into lots of little bits?

shaft.jpg

Its a dana 30 intermediate shaft. Its the only shaft I have broken and I have done a few tough trails, and I like the versatility of the vac disco.
Its a pretty common disco shaft failure a nice clean cut, I am sure I could of driven it home without any ill effects. It does not look like it has any heat treating, maybe just some work hardening by the splines. Any metal experts care to analyze the pic?

I found a place that would cyro treat it for about $40 cyro place

From what I understand cyroed stuff shatters when it breaks, which means a big mess in the axle tube.

Its a bit of a pain to swap the intermediate shaft since you have to pull both sides, but the intermediate shafts are typically pretty easy to find cheap since they are so common and people dislike the vac setup. Where 297 axles and U-joints are much more expensive. So its kind of tempting just to leave it alone and spend the extra 30 minutes for the repair. With how cleanly it snapped it would probably be okay to drive it to camp for a fix. Maybe a fuse of sorts.

What do you all think?

I've got a freezer, I'll charge you $25.

No warranty, though.

CRASH

I just got a set of alloy D30 axle shafts that I am interested in getting treated also. I am curious if it is woth the money and effort for the gains in strength. Thanks for the link. I haven't been able to find any local shops in the Bay Area that do this sort of treatment. Anyone know of any other places that do the treatments?

Bryan

Hey Gary, not to hijack too bad, but was there a c-clip on the intermediate shaft on the diff end? And what year is the axle from? My 91 has no clip but my 88 shaft does have a clip.

ChuckD said:
I have an inner shaft with your name on it! :D

Sweet!

Phil, funny the 91 shaft doesn't have a clip but I remember my 87 one did. I don't see any need for the clip and aparently they didn't either, but if you have the clip you would have to pull the cover and the clip.

Back