• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 link &coils in back idea

rock60xj

NAXJA Member # 1344
the plan is to do a 4 link using a full width dana 60 i already have 75% of the parts the main thing i need to figure out is a set of coils what i was thinking was to use the tomken 4.5 coils that are in front nowfor the rear and get some re7.5s forthe front my problem is will the front coils be to stiff for the rear i do have alot of lbs in the rear (37" tire, air tank, 2 batteries in back, 2nd warn 8000 with a 2"x5"x1/4" bumper in back, and all the other thingstools parts and gear. so what do you think will it work or willit be to stiff i do alot of rocks and i want flex. thanks

rock60xj said:
the plan is to do a 4 link using a full width dana 60 i already have 75% of the parts the main thing i need to figure out is a set of coils what i was thinking was to use the tomken 4.5 coils that are in front nowfor the rear and get some re7.5s forthe front my problem is will the front coils be to stiff for the rear i do have alot of lbs in the rear (37" tire, air tank, 2 batteries in back, 2nd warn 8000 with a 2"x5"x1/4" bumper in back, and all the other thingstools parts and gear. so what do you think will it work or willit be to stiff i do alot of rocks and i want flex. thanks

all i can say is it must be nice to have a spare winch. look a few days back. there is a guy who has both front and rear 7.5 RE springs.

Yep, that's me. I'm running the RE 7.5" TJ coils rear front. Had to use 2 Spacers to level it out. If you use different coils you will have a hard time because one end will be too flexy and the other end too stiff.

I'm very happy with my setup, the rear end is not too flexy but if you carry a lot of tools or a rear winch it will match the front flex. I drove it yesterday loaded with about 500 lbs of parts and tools and i really didn't notice the additional weight. Those coils are awesome, but you will net about 12-14" lift rear with them.

I three linked the rear of mine with a triangulated upper. I used 2in lift springs from a tj rear, and i am sitting at about 5 inchs over stock. I do know that using stock front TJ or XJ coils will net you about 8 inches of lift in the rear of an xj. And about them being too stiff, dont worry you wont be dissapointed.They will flex just fine without all that extra weight and even better with it.

cliffhanger135 said:
.....And about them being too stiff, dont worry you wont be dissapointed.They will flex just fine without all that extra weight and even better with it.........

No they wont flex 'fine' without loading the hell out of the back of the Jeep. Might as well use concrete bags cause you need about 900 lbs of weight to balance your suspension:

The front coils are rated at around 170 lb/in STOCK (REs coils are heavier about 175-190 lb/in), when in the front they carry about 1350 lb per corner at ride height (stock no extra weight) and compress about 8" at ride height.

So you take these STOCK front coils & put them in the rear which is only about 900 lb per corner at ride height and compress only 5.25".

I dont know what the TJ rear coils are rated but they're your best bet. If you find out the spring rate & do some calcs you'll save yourself alot of re-fabrication in the long run.

If the suspension isn't balanced front/rear than one end or the other does all the work, a stiff rear makes the front do all the work which is how it'll be in your case. Why switch to coils if you have less flex than before? And buy the Currie Anti-Rock now cause you're gonna need it if you wheel.

Got some pics of your 3 link rear? What's your %AS? How'd you bridge the diff & where is your rear RC?

-jb

Back