• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need clarification, AA SYE w/High Angle DS

crjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
evening....I am waiting for my SYE and driveshaft to arrive(thanks Dirk-DPG & Terry at High Angle) and need some clarification on the extras I already have. Currently I am running a 5.5" R.E. lift with the t-case dropkit and 4* shims on the rear axle. After searching the forum I am still not sure if the drop kit and shims need to come off after the SYE install. I have no or very little driveline vibes currently so I am fairly dialed in as far as DS/pinion angles go. Any help appreciated.....

Chunk the t-case drop keep the shims. I got the same SYE and DS, 32k miles zero problems.

crjeeper said:
evening....I am waiting for my SYE and driveshaft to arrive(thanks Dirk-DPG & Terry at High Angle) and need some clarification on the extras I already have. Currently I am running a 5.5" R.E. lift with the t-case dropkit and 4* shims on the rear axle. After searching the forum I am still not sure if the drop kit and shims need to come off after the SYE install. I have no or very little driveline vibes currently so I am fairly dialed in as far as DS/pinion angles go. Any help appreciated.....

Loss the dropkit, and for the 4* shims may or may not be necesary. With your lift do you have rear extended shackles?

Agreed lose the drop kit and gain the clearance. I have the same lift with a 8.25 and a Tom woods DS. I needed 6* shims. close to 20K miles and no worries.

What you want is your pinion down about 1deg from your driveshaft. I'd lose the t/c drop and then check your d/s and pinion angles and go from there. Until you install the shaft and uninstall the tcase drop, there's really no way to tell for sure. I am assuming you're using a CV style shaft. If not, then don't listen to what I said.

ChuckD said:
Loss the dropkit, and for the 4* shims may or may not be necesary. With your lift do you have rear extended shackles?

I do. R.E. 2700 1.25" lift. Using a CV d/s. Consensus seems to be to lose the drop kit and hold on the shims. Thanks for the quick replies. :thumbup:

I know with mine, I did not need shims. I have the RE1462 rear leafs and a pair of Daystar lift shackles. These by together have pitched up my pinion enough. This is both with my old D35 and now my D44.

But as mentioned, ditch the dropkit and then check your angle to see if you need to shim. Haborfrieght has some cheap angle finders if you need one.

ChuckD said:
I know with mine, I did not need shims. I have the RE1462 rear leafs and a pair of Daystar lift shackles. These by together have pitched up my pinion enough. This is both with my old D35 and now my D44.

But as mentioned, ditch the dropkit and then check your angle to see if you need to shim. Haborfrieght has some cheap angle finders if you need one.

thanks....

Back