• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U joint removal help!!!

tnxjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I cannot figure out how to remove the u joint at the slip yolk and front of the rear driveshaft. I lifted my XJ and im putting on a ZJ driveshaft because it is longer and i do not know how to remove the u joint. Any directions???

tnxjjeeper said:
I cannot figure out how to remove the u joint at the slip yolk and front of the rear driveshaft. I lifted my XJ and im putting on a ZJ driveshaft because it is longer and i do not know how to remove the u joint. Any directions???

A vice , one socket bigger than the cap (but smaller than the ears on the yoke), one slightly smaller than the caps...and pressure

If no vice, same trick can be done with a big hammer and a block of wood.

edit: oh yeah...and make sure to remove all c-clips/snap rings FIRST.

Nice page! Click save! By the way, if you are replacing and do not intend to reuse just beat it out with a hammer!

I lifted my XJ and im putting on a ZJ driveshaft because it is longer and i do not know how to remove the u joint.

So how much longer is a ZJ driveshaft?

i like to put the cross on ( not in it )the vice and pound the yolk its very easy this way

massxj said:
i like to put the cross on ( not in it )the vice and pound the yolk its very easy this way
BTW, it's spelled yoke, not yolk.... Yolks come from eggs.

I wouldn't beat on the yokes if I can help it. That's a good way to start a bend in them. A friend of mine had to replace an outer shaft because some idiot bent the ears on it replacing the u-joint.

Wow you must be at like 10"s of lift huh? I ran a stock shaft for quite some time at 8"s. Then it blew out and had to make it an 1" longer. But how much longer is ZJ shaft?

MATT

Back