• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting to power locks and windows

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a 89 pioneer with non power windows and locks. a friend of mine has a 87 with power windows and locks. does anyone know off the top of there head if the size of the door handle and the section for the power locks will fit. I didnt have a measuring tape on me at the time i was over there so i couldnt tell. looks like it should fit tho. I dont know much about wiring so how would i go about doing this, it is just the front and passenger door, not the rear. also, how much should i ask the person for this if everything works fine. I mean how much is somethin like this worth? thanks for the help, i just havent seen anyone do this yet so im basically wondering if anyone has.

I wouldn't even bother... the older XJ's power window/lock system is not reliable enough to be worth it, IMO.

I would do the powerlocks, the kit can be gotten from JCW and involves just pulling the covers and putting the solenid in. The one from JCW also has a RF wireless which has more range than the Jeep OEM one. I think the kit was around $60 for 4 w/two remotes and an extra solenoid for the tailgate was another $15 or so. Not sure about the older XJ's but I understand that newer ones already have the wiring inplace that is hot all the time, you just have to add the fuse to the panel. Someone did the setup here a couple of years ago w/part numbers but I lost it and have not found it again though I did print it out so the printout might be around someplace, it is one of those things I would like to get to but never seem to.

RichP said:
I would do the powerlocks, the kit can be gotten from JCW and involves just pulling the covers and putting the solenid in. The one from JCW also has a RF wireless which has more range than the Jeep OEM one. I think the kit was around $60 for 4 w/two remotes and an extra solenoid for the tailgate was another $15 or so. Not sure about the older XJ's but I understand that newer ones already have the wiring inplace that is hot all the time, you just have to add the fuse to the panel. Someone did the setup here a couple of years ago w/part numbers but I lost it and have not found it again though I did print it out so the printout might be around someplace, it is one of those things I would like to get to but never seem to.

All of my rigs have had faulty power stuff, never manual, and in my town I don't need to take my keys, nevermind lock my doors, so i didn't know the wiring was all there. In that case... :anon:

Power windows I've heard too many horror stories about, but power locks wouldn't be a bad idea... I'm gonna have to take the door apart anyway to replace my drivers-door lock cylinder, might as well do some upgrading while I'm there.

Not sure if this is the right one for the XJ... came up when I selected Cherokee but it kinda looks like a universal kit.

Back