• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super Swamper LTB Tires

DurangoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any experience with this tire? I was thinking about purchasing some 34x10.50x15's because they are only $117 a piece.

What are you planning to do with your new tires? If you only want something with a little better traction and mileage than bare rims, you can get tires for significantly cheaper than $117 each.
Don't base an important decision like the tires you will run on price alone. The use you intend to make of them is a much better point from which to begin your search for new tires.
That said . . .
the LTBs are hard core offroad tires. They are bias ply tires with large, widely spaced lugs. This means they will be squirmy, loud, vibrating, and wear quickly on the road. But it also means they will work like few other tires can in mud, will wrap around obstacles very well at low pressures, and are more resistant to cut sidewalls in rocks, ruts, etc.

If you want to run 34's and want a good all around tire, the TrXus M/T's come in 34x12.5" not quite as pizza cutterish as the LTB and a better all purpose tire.

im running my second set of ltb's the first set sold with the other xj and i love them i have about 2500 on them and they still say swamper on the tread they flat spot some overnight but it only takes about 2 miles for it to go away , they are a little louder than a radial but not bad mine is a dd and i have no probs they do vibrate more over 70 mph but still not bad . but when you turn off the pavement it would be hard to find a better tire for any whare near the money

thats my 2 cents :wave1:

I currently run the LTB's in a 33x13.50x15. They suck.

Well, not completely. They grip like mad on slickrock, sand, mud, snow, and ice. They do not flex very well even at 8 psi. A radial with about 12-15 psi flexes just as well. I mounted and balanced them myself at the tire shop where I worked and I can honestly say they are the least round tires I have ever seen. I have personally balanced thousands of tires. They have been shaking all of my interior panels loose in the Jeep. Their tread compound is the softest I have seen in a swamper tread. This is good for grip, but terrible for durability and wear. After only about 6 months, mine are hammered. Deep cuts and gouges are all over in the tread, with several big chunks cut out already. They SCREAM on the highway, much worse than my friend's TSL SX's. Perhaps the narrower ones wouldn't be so noisy.

I STRONGLY recommend coughing up $60-80 more for some other tires. The Truxus MT's are supposed to be awesome, and they ride, drive, wear, and flex better simply because they are radials. Really, the price on them isn't so bad either.

If you just want a cheap but killer OFF ROAD ONLY tire, the LTB's aren't a bad way to go. But even the better wear makes the Truxus MT's a better value IMHO. Hope some of this helps.

Jared:patriot:

i will add that you can expect some real problems balancing them as well.. it can be done but its a real challenge.. and for a 10.50" width they sure look wider with those big lugs.. plan on feeling like you are riding on a "washboard" road all the time too.. an excellent "purpose built" tire...

mike

thats the second time ive heard bad things about the 33x13.50 ltb but noone ever complains about the 31x11.50 or the 34x10.50 i wonder why

'cause more people have bought the 33's :laugh:

Back