• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help getting parts

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Anybody know where I can get this stuff?

First, I'd like to find the little collar on the end of the front axle shafts, keeps mud and such out of the tubes. Didn't notice a part number for it... It's the ridge at the end of the long end of the axle shaft, just next to the U-Joints.
axleshaft.gif

Second, I want to replace the U-Joints in my front drive shaft, but am curious about the CV joint, I know I can get this stuff at the dealer, but would like to see if I can get it elsewhere. I am looking for part 12 (the CV Joint, or it's components) and possibly part 8, if those ever go bad.
frontdriveshaft.gif

Thanks!
Sequoia

Can't help you with the mud slinger, but the ball for the driveshaft you should be able to get at any drive shaft shop. You may get to it faster if you refer to it as a double cardan joint, though. I know many people (and even some books) refer to this type of joint as a "CV" joint, but it isn't a true constant velocity joint, and the correct terminology for this type of joint is "double cardan"

The fact that the early XJs did use a true CV joint on the front drive shaft (the "beer can on a popsicle stick" joint), it would be easy for a shop to be talking about one thing while you're asking about something else.

Back