• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5" Lift--2 quick questions

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I am going to install the 4.5" coils soon to go with the RE 3.5 leaf pack and extended shackles. I ordered new stock coil isolators with the idea of replacing the originals.
Question 1: I have heard that the rear tends to sit higher, should I just add the new isolator to the old, or replace?

I am running 31" tires on 4.5" backspaced rims, so figured I wouldn't need to install the bump stop extensions as I likely won't rub. However, I have heard that I should install them anyway to prevent over-compression of springs or shocks bottoming out.
Question 2: Install the bumpstop extensions or not?

Thanks all, looking forward to some warmer weather so I can get at my mods!
Todd in chilly VT

Here is how mine sits now. I installed the full 3.5" SF kit with rear leaves. It sits with 3.5" leaf pack with stock shackles in the rear, and 3.5" coils with a 2" coil spacer in the front.

34526552-lift3.jpg

trekker said:
Hi,
I am going to install the 4.5" coils soon to go with the RE 3.5 leaf pack and extended shackles. I ordered new stock coil isolators with the idea of replacing the originals.
Question 1: I have heard that the rear tends to sit higher, should I just add the new isolator to the old, or replace?
Might want to wait and see how it settles first. My RE6130 ended up sitting nice and level, but I do carry some junk in back fairly often. Others seem to end up with astronomical lift out of theirs though...

I am running 31" tires on 4.5" backspaced rims, so figured I wouldn't need to install the bump stop extensions as I likely won't rub. However, I have heard that I should install them anyway to prevent over-compression of springs or shocks bottoming out.
Question 2: Install the bumpstop extensions or not?
I'd say install them since it's a lot quicker and cheaper than repairing shock mounts or inner liner damage from the tires travelling too high.

The only to know the perfect answer for you is to install the lift, take it on some flexy trails that will help them settle, then see if it's level or not and go from there. As far as the bumpstops, take the jeep out and bring a tape measure, flex it, and see where the shocks travel range is and if you need bumpstops or not. Anything else is just going to be guesses and opinions. You want the bumpstops to stop upward travel slightly before the shock would bottom out.

out of curiosity, if you're worried about the back sitting higher, is there any reason why you're going with the 3.5" leafs with the lift shackles as opposed to the 4.5" leafs and standard shackles?

I have the RE 4.5". If I did it again I would get a .75" coil spacer and place that in with the new spring isolator right away. My rearend never settled much since I don't carry much in the rear daily. I added the .75" spacer about 6 months after my lift and it evened it out just about perfect for me.

I would also install the bumpstop extensions. Would 31s have rubbed with no lift? If there is nothing limiting up travel, it doesn't matter what your static lift is. The tire will still move up into the wheel well just as far as it did when at stock height. On a well designed lift (like RE) the bumpstop should be the limiting factor, not shocks or control arms or tires rubbing.

I admit my tires rub a little. But I trimmed a lot and they rub A LITTLE at the same time the bumpstops touch. I also extended my bumpstops a little more.(33x10.50 on 4.5"BS)

Thanks for all your input/suggestions gang. Very helpful! :clap:
Formatt; The standard 4.5" RE Superflex kit comes with the 4.5" coils and 3.5" leaf pack w/ extended shackles. My understanding is that this setup will offer more flex than the 4.5" leaf pack. If you are planning on going higher than the 4.5" someday, best to get the 4.5" pack, then you can add longer shackles if needed. I have no intentions of going any higher so that's why I opted for standard kit.
I do carry quite a bit of weight in my rig, as well as pull a trailer at times, so from what I am hearing I may try just swapping the new isolator with the old one. It's only a 1/2" difference. And I will be installing the bumpstop extensions per the consensus.
Thanks again all,
See you on the trail!
Todd

i just got the same lift for my rig and i'm doing what DXJ suggested and adding a 3/4" spacer right away... i may not install the new shackles right away if its going to be "ass-high" until they settle a bit... a little trial and error is what its all about.... i will be running 33x1050s as well so i will probably need to trim and definately install the new bump-stops to keep from having to pull it apart just for that later....
and this all hinges on the Fing white stuff we're getting right now....

mike

ASJackman, what color is your Jeep. Well, obviously it's RED, but what vehicle does it come from? I've got an XJ or two to paint this summer and I really like that shade of red. Is it Jeep Chili Pepper Red?

Jared:patriot:

I've got the RE6130 kit... did the 3/4 spacer in the front... DO IT...

But I carry tons of stuff in the back... I've also added an additional leaf to each rear spring...

I'd recommend rear bumpstop extensions to keep from overflexing the rear springs and keep them alive...

I fabbed my own...

rbump2.jpg

Dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com sells extensions...

Back