• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans fluid change

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to change the fluid/filter in my 93. I know with some transmissions that if you don't do it on a regular basis, then don't do it because it will fry the trans. Is this the case with XJ's? I've put about 16,000 miles on mine since I've had it putting it at 130,000 miles. I have no idea when or if it was done. Should I leave it alone or change it. I really don't want to screw it up. Thanks.
Mike Harris

I would change it. You never know what the other person did to it. But make sure you use the right fluid, AW4 autos are a bit touchy with the wrong fluild. Look at you manual in the glove box for the right fluid, I would tell you but my brain is out in left field right now. :wstupid: Juice

tireroastin93XJ said:
I was going to change the fluid/filter in my 93. I know with some transmissions that if you don't do it on a regular basis, then don't do it because it will fry the trans. Is this the case with XJ's? I've put about 16,000 miles on mine since I've had it putting it at 130,000 miles. I have no idea when or if it was done. Should I leave it alone or change it. I really don't want to screw it up. Thanks.
Mike Harris
yup change it, at the very least drain from plug and see color/condition, if real nasty, pull pan to get all out and replace and clean filter off. Real cheap insurance to do, I actually was draining tranny right after I bought mine and fluid came out so clean, I just put it right back in, Heinz

Sorry, no drain plug on the converter. You can flush it better by disconnecting one of the cooler hoses and then running the engine to pump out fluid while you poor more in. Takes two people to avoid a big mess.

Back