• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Allign now or after pitman arm?

ShipleyCSA

NAXJA Forum User
I Just got done installing my 4.5" on my 90' XJ. It NEEDS to be alligned, and really considering about ordering a pitman arm for it (don't know why, but I've been advised too). CAN I get it alligned tomorrow and install the arm a week from now, or wait(avoid)? What do y'll think?
Thanks,
-John

Don't bother with the pitman arm. Mines currently at 6" with no steering mods at all. With 4.5", you'll be fine. Get it aligned ASAP and immediately begin to enjoy your new toy!

Jared:patriot:

I agree, skip the pitman arm and spend the $ on beers for those who helped with your lift.

Oh yeah, get it aligned too.

What is this "get it aligned"?

Grab your tape measure, and align it yourself. It is simple.

Use the back of the tape housing against the inside of your tire at front and rear at about the same height. Loosen both pinch bolts at the end of your tie rod, and turn the tie rod (a pipe wrench works great for this) until you get the front between 1/16th and 1/8th closer together than the rear. Tighten the pinch bolts back up and you are done.

Yes, it is that easy.

There are many, many more detailed writeups on how to do the alignment out on the internet, but this is the gist of it. Save your money on that, and on the pitman arm, which you don't need. I'm at about 7 inches in front with the stock arm. No big deal.

racer122 said:
What is this "get it aligned"?

Grab your tape measure, and align it yourself. It is simple.

Use the back of the tape housing against the inside of your tire at front and rear at about the same height. Loosen both pinch bolts at the end of your tie rod, and turn the tie rod (a pipe wrench works great for this) until you get the front between 1/16th and 1/8th closer together than the rear. Tighten the pinch bolts back up and you are done.

Yes, it is that easy.

There are many, many more detailed writeups on how to do the alignment out on the internet, but this is the gist of it. Save your money on that, and on the pitman arm, which you don't need. I'm at about 7 inches in front with the stock arm. No big deal.

So, no pitman arm. All I have to do is measure the distance between the two rear tires, then loosen tie rod bolts in front, and match the distance between the two front tires(1/16-1/8" narrower) with the rear. Once they are about the same as the rear, tighten them...Thats it? Well I might give that a try.
Now what about the two bolts found on back side of the lower control arm frame mounts. I thought they would adjust the alignment? What about those?
-John

ShipleyCSA said:
So, no pitman arm. All I have to do is measure the distance between the two rear tires, then loosen tie rod bolts in front, and match the distance between the two front tires(1/16-1/8" narrower) with the rear. Once they are about the same as the rear, tighten them...Thats it? Well I might give that a try.
Now what about the two bolts found on back side of the lower control arm frame mounts. I thought they would adjust the alignment? What about those?
-John
Ummm...not quite.
The measurements will be all at the front tires. Measure the distance between the front tires at the rear near the UCA mounts, and compare that to the measurement between the front tires at the front near the tie rod. You want the front tires nearly parallel, with a SLIGHT toe-in (1/16-1/8") at the front.

There are more exact ways to do this. The most simple I have seen with no special stuff is to stick a peice of duct tape with an "x" drawn on it to the center of the tread of each front tire. Now, roll the x's so that they are at about the 4-o'clock position if you were looking from beside the vehicle. Measure the distance between the x's. Next, roll the vehicle so that the x's are now at the 8-o'clock position (not 180 deg from previous position). Measure again. You should have about 1/16" smaller distance on the front between the x's than you do on the rear. With each adjustment you make, roll the vehicle again and redo both measurements.

Once you have it right, grab your tools and head for a parking lot/not busy road. Drive your Jeep so it is going perfectly straight. Stop the vehicle without moving the steering wheel at all. Leave the key on and go adjust the sleeve on your drag link until your steering wheel is straight. Ta-daa! You are finished.

The benefit of this technique is better accuracy. You are measuring from exactly the same spot on the tires each time. It makes little sense to save $40-50 on an alignment and cause $100 in extra tire wear because you did it wrong. Take your time and get it right. Take a look at the caster too. Somebody else can chime on on this one... my fingers are tired.

Jared:patriot:

Back