• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM Rack and Pinion Steering onto XJ?

4xBob

NAXJA Forum User
The new GMC Canyon/Chev Colorado pickups use rack and pinion steering. I'm tired of sloppy steering (yes, I've tried tracking down all the loose parts, replaced the tie rod ends, new control arm poly bushings, alignment and tire pressure ok, new track bar with poly bushings, ball joints check out). My 1990 is a gravel logging-road cruiser, no rock crawling. Any reason why I couldn't go to rack and pinion, if I can find a mounting place parallel to the front axle? 4xBob

4xBob said:
The new GMC Canyon/Chev Colorado pickups use rack and pinion steering. I'm tired of sloppy steering (yes, I've tried tracking down all the loose parts, replaced the tie rod ends, new control arm poly bushings, alignment and tire pressure ok, new track bar with poly bushings, ball joints check out). My 1990 is a gravel logging-road cruiser, no rock crawling. Any reason why I couldn't go to rack and pinion, if I can find a mounting place parallel to the front axle? 4xBob
you'd have to mount the rack TO the axle, and even then it would be DAMN hard if not impossible to make it work.

the closest thing you can do is full hydraulic steering w/ a double-ended ram, but that opens a whole new box of issues (some including legality)

if you swapped in the IFS along with the rack and pinion, then it would work.

have you checked for slop in the steering shaft and gearbox?

Yes, I have checked the stearing gear, and tightened it up a hair. I'm worried that sloppy steering is just minor wear everywhere! I haven't actually had a chance to really look over the GM steeering yet. Sounds like there are no shortcuts....more grubbing around looking for sloppy joints while my son saws the steering wheel back and forth. 4xBob

Make sure the steering box is still tightly mounted and that the frame is still in good shape where the box mounts to it. New steering stabilizer might be in your near future. Also be sure to check the ball joints. Even the ujoints in the steering shaft could be causing your woes...

Jared:patriot:

Back