• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to fix head oil leak

MCD

NAXJA Forum User
if a new head gasket doesnt fix it can i put a sealer of some kind around the push rod openings? if not what can i do. i was just on a trip and it used 3 qts on a 1200 trip and got my tail gate covered in oil.

are you sure it a head gasket leak? common leaks are valve cover gasket, oil filter adapter, rear main seal.

push rod opening? need more info

MCD said:
if a new head gasket doesnt fix it can i put a sealer of some kind around the push rod openings? if not what can i do. i was just on a trip and it used 3 qts on a 1200 trip and got my tail gate covered in oil.

Its probably doing like mine. Blowing it out the dipstick tube. Is most of the oil on the right side of the engine block?

Plus if your head gasket is leaking it should be leaking anitfreeze.

There is a thread running around the net about the 4.0 leaking at the head gasket where it is supposed to seal the pushrod side of the engine. One picture posted showed the same condition mine has, oil leaking down at the #2 cylinder area, onto the distributor, and back all the way to the exhaust crossing under the pan. I have changed the valve cover gasket, timing cover, front and rear main seal, and pan gasket, including a new sleeve on the harmonic balancer. It still leaks a quart a hundred miles, and I, too, am looking for a solution.

I presently think I might try the little whip cream can of Permatex "Foam a Gasket" at the junction, or JB weld, or just heli arc it with nickel rod . . .

Jeeps don't leak, they just mark their territory.

yes tiRod has it but those solutions sound kinda extreme. i thought maybe some kinda sealer on the outside edge all the way around but i dont know what kind.

When I bought my '90 I noticed a leaking head gasket at the pushrod galley. NO it is not the valve cover, dipstick tube, oil pressure sender, it IS the head gasket.

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible for the head gasket to leak oil and not compression or coolant. I found a TSB somewhere that DC has released a new head gasket with a coating of sealer around the pushrod galley to fix this problem. I have not replaced the gasket yet. With this leak and the front and rear main seals both bad, I only lose a quart between oil changes . I am hoping to get another 75K miles, then pull the engine and build a stroker. That should fix the leaking head gasket.
MoFo

I just did front/rear seal, valve cover gasket, o-rings, timing chain seal(after harmonic balancer, it was leaking a little).

Now...I too have a little oil seepage at the head...it's very minor, and nothing compared to the o-rings, rear main and valve cover gasket that used to be leaking a lot.

Any further interesting insight would be neat.

Teron

looks like i'm in the same boat as well, with the leaking head gasket

same symptoms--seeping oil on the right side of th engine, mostly near the dist. cap

i know i hafta do my RMS too....i think i leak about 1/2 qt every 3000k miles, so im not too concerned about it .....yet

and, yes....its just marking its territory ;)

mine doesnt just mark it territory, it sparys it all over the tailgate and on people that follow to close. and the smell is another thing, but the smoke is kinda cool.

Back