• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C - Recharge

LiquidOps

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys...

My AC doesn't blow cold air anymore :( When I turn it on, air blows and is sort of kind of cold for like 5 seconds, then it is just air. so... The question is...

Can I recharge it myself? If so... How? What do I need? How much time will it take?

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will be getting on this :)

and Please... no RTFM :paperwork comments. I'm at work and don't have it with me :)

Well acording to your profile you Jeep is a 92 so therefore it would be R-12 and it would have to be converted to 134 or you could maybe try freeze 12. I'm not sure how well the Freeze 12 works though. It might still be possible to find R-12, but it would cost a fortune. Before you recharge it, I would check for leaks so you don't have to go through this again.

Well, how do you know it's low on R12? Being low on refrig is only one of many things that could be wrong. And if it is already charged and you over charge it, you can then start adding up the damage $$$. Take it to a shop.

I agree with bottleworks. If you have access to a set of manifold gauges, I would check my pressure before shooting in some freon, Or at the very least
check to see if the clutch is engaged on the compressor, if it is take a peak at the sight glass on the drier to see if it has air bubbles or if its cloudy. Both would be indications of low freon.

I see you are in Cali. Take a day drive over to Mex. have someone over there look at it they still have R-12 and they can put it in for you do some searching.

Back