• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another driveshaft question

PWRDrill

NAXJA Forum User
I have my tom woods driveshaft (rear) made for a dana 35c. This is on a 95 Xj country 4.0 auto. I recently aquired an xj d44. I play on adding another 1 to 2 inches on top of my RE 5.5. Would this compensate for the added length of the pinion on the D44? You think I might get lucky here? Anyone have experience with this or a similiar setup?

Kevin

The nose on the D44 will be approximately 1 inch longer than the D35 if I remember on mine. The question really comes down to how much free travel you have in your slip joint. An inch of lift isn't really the answer. The problem comes when you bottom out the suspension. You could still bottom out with a lift. You just have to make sure you have enough room to compress the shaft without binding. Extending your bump stops could help.

old_man said:
The nose on the D44 will be approximately 1 inch longer than the D35 if I remember on mine. The question really comes down to how much free travel you have in your slip joint. An inch of lift isn't really the answer. The problem comes when you bottom out the suspension. You could still bottom out with a lift. You just have to make sure you have enough room to compress the shaft without binding. Extending your bump stops could help.

I wasn't planning on adding lift to compensate for the driveshaft problem. I plan on adding lift for the larger tires :) I was just hoping that maybe I could kill two birds with one stone. Thanks for the advice though as I am still learning as I go...

Kevin

did the D44 swap and it only changed the length by 5/8" the shaft still worked just fine. with another 2" of lift, i would think things would be just fine...but check before you go launching the XJ :thumbup:

Back