• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 60 In an xj

dave

NAXJA Forum User
I have some questions for any of you folks running dana 60s in your XJ's . I am a little uneasy about putting that heavy of an axle underneath the unibody. I'm wondering if it will ever rip out ( I.E tear a spring hanger off etc. ) for those of you who have them... how did you reinforce the unibody when you put them in , if at all. The xj i am thinging about putting one in will have a cage with framerail tieins prior to a 60 . Just wanted some input. The xj in question has 35s at present but i would like to run 37s. It also has an LT1 and 4L60 in it, not quite sure the rear d44 will hold 37s. TIA

Just plate the areas you are concerned about - this question always gets me! How does an extra 250 - 300 lbs at the axle (not including the larger tire you can now run) affect the loads on the links - this is a very trival amout of load compared to bumping up a ledge or dropping off a stump - if the bracketry can handle those dynamic loads why do you think a larger axle will cause the whole deal to fall apart :rolleyes:

Like I said if you are worried about the brackets build some new ones out of 3/16" or plate the existing ones with 1/8"

The cage is a great idea and I would do that before anything else - that way you have platform to connect all the suspension loads.

That rear 44 is going to have a hard life behind a LT1 w 37's hung off of it - go 9" 14b, 60, 70, or ( 80:eek: ) and things will be better off - it mostly depends on your driving style but that motor has the potential to make a good show for everyone but your wallet...

thanks for the input matt, i am actually going to be plating the mounting points for the cage so while i am at it i will most likely make some new mounts for the suspension as well. I decided on a 60 read ( can get one for cheap with 35 spine axleshafts) and am still undecided about a front.. maybe have a ford HP d44 retubed to fit or just get a 9" housing from currie. the 37s wont come till the summer is over ( unless that is i incur breakage this summer ) and about a 14 bolt or a dana 70 or 80.. haha i dont need a boat anchor.. its a jeep ;D

boat anchor? :D I'm going to put a Dana 70 HD in the rear and a Dana 60 in front. I'm running 38.5 TSL SXs for now with the stock axles (or should i say stock housings :cool: ) and i think the time has come to get something stronger.

I don't do rockcrawling because we don't have rocks over here in germany so ground clearance is no big concern.

My question to anyone is why do you care so much about the weight of an axle. The axle supports the weight of the body and not the other way. As Matt explained before the loads on the suspension by dropping off a stump or anything similar are way greater than a axle this heavy can produce.

On the other had, going to a Dana 70 instead of a 14b or 9" gives you the choice of gering as low as 7.17:1 (which actually is already installed in the axle i plan to install) so gross weight of the XJ or size of tires is no concern either.

You have to buy new rims and maybe new tires because the full floating axles all have a 8-lug bolt pattern and you have to use 16" wheels because no one makes a 15" rim in that bolt pattern.

Back