• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone had to modify poly motor mounts like this?

roXJeepr

NAXJA Member #334
When I went to install my Rusty's motor mount, I couldn't get it all the way in for the holes to line up.
ee8a.jpg

I had to cut a little off the edges of each side to get it to go in between the "ears" of the bracket. Is this normal to have to do? I would think not.

Hey Dale,
Pic didn't work for me.
I had to really squeeze the drivers side mount to get it in though.
But they were mounts bought from advance auto.

Typical cRusty's fabri-ma-cation.

I'm testing out a set of RawBrown motor mounts & they work well, fit correctly and dont have the 'bling' factor.

-jb

Was it the driver side that gave you problems?

I made my own poly motor mounts and had to do the same thing at first.

Bender said:
Was it the driver side that gave you problems?

Yup, driver side. I stuck a factory one on the passenger side, so I didn't notice if the bracket is the same way.

Mark WNC said:
Hey Dale,
Pic didn't work for me.
I had to really squeeze the drivers side mount to get it in though.
But they were mounts bought from advance auto.

Mark, are you just running stock mounts? or does advance sell polyeuro's? The mount fit between the ears of the mount okay, it just wouldn't go in toward the motor enough for the holes to line up. Did you try to right click, properties, cut and paste the URL in the address bar? That usually works for me when I get a X
See ya in Tellico!!

roXJeepr said:
When I went to install my Rusty's motor mount, I couldn't get it all the way in for the holes to line up.
ee8a.jpg

I had to cut a little off the edges of each side to get it to go in between the "ears" of the bracket. Is this normal to have to do? I would think not.

i had to do the same as you did.

roXJeepr said:
ee8a.jpg

Mine were Daystar poly mounts. I took the driver side bracket off the block and hogged out some of the material so the mount would slide all the way in.

well that's pretty crappy that you have a modify a mount that's made for a specific application. I wonder if there was a design change on the bracket one year. I bought a poly trans mount by Daystar and it didn't fit right either. I had to slot the holes in the plate just to get it to fit onto the mounting bracket, then it put the crossmember back about 1/2" too far. I've not had very good luck with aftermarket stuff for the cherokee. I guess that's why I build most of my stuff. Well, that and I'm a cheap ass! :D

Yes they are stock mounts from advance auto.
Yes It was pretty tight just like you are talking about
but I just kept working it and finally got the bolt in.
I'll try the X again.

PS: I still cant get the pic to work.

Last edited:
Same deal here - I had to trim the poly bushing on the drivers side to get the rusty's to fit in my 91.

I'm also running a set of RawBrown Motor Mounts. They're very stout, didn't have to do any modifications, I love 'em.

His website is currently under heavy construction, but you can email him directly.
http://www.rawbrown.com/

P2270016.JPG

Last edited:
Hey BigTP2, what year is your rig? It looks to me like those wouldn't fit my driver side either without modding.
4741.jpg

You can see the lip that I had to clear with the notch in the Rusty's mount. The factory mount tapers in right from the metal sleeve so it clears no problem.

Okay, here's a link for my album, and the other mount and bracket shots. I see that Yahoo kinda sucks. They change url's apparently.
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tn...e=http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tnvolsguy/

Last edited:
I installed the mounts in a '96 and didn't have any problems. I have heard that some years require the removal of the oil filter mount in order to remove the passenger side bolt, but I haven't heard of any other clearance issues. Vintagespeed and quite a few other people are running the RawBrown mounts so you might want to send Ryan Brown an email to see if he supplies different mounts for different years: [email protected].

Stupid question time, but I'm gonna ask anyway. Why change the motor mounts to poly?

I used a set of Rusty's poly motor mounts too, I also had to trim a little off of the drivers side. But I found out later that mine were meant for a TJ. Wonder if he's doing that to everyone.

XJWheelie said:
Stupid question time, but I'm gonna ask anyway. Why change the motor mounts to poly?
Stupid answer time... because the stock ones suck. They break too easy, and aren't cheap to replace all the time. That's why I changed mine anyway.
I actually only changed the driver side to poly, still running a stock type on the pass. side.

Back