• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Release Fork -to- Ball Pivot Clip

SyCo

NAXJA Forum User
Refer to
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=503997

I bought an OEM clip from the stealership, but I am worried about the clip letting go (again). Any ideas on a stronger mounting system? My cousin (who is physically helping me with the tranny/clutch removal/install) suggested making something out of a coat hanger. Albeit a coat hanger is thicker then the clip, I'm not to keen on having a device that's made to hang clothes being used to hold vital parts of my clutch in place.

So, any suggestions? Thanks!
Lloyd.

I'm sure you are aware that there are numerous different alloys and tempers of steel. I don't happen to have an XJ with an AX-15 (the '88 has the BA 10/5 with the internal slave), but from older cars that had mechanical clutch linkages I can envision the piece of which you speak. And there ain't no way I would try to use one made from a coat hanger rather than the piece designed and manufactured for the specific application.

Consider how many hundreds of thousands of XJs there are with that part, and how many millions of miles they have been driven. How many have you heard of failing? The fact that nobody has piled onto your post with a "Me too, mine did that" suggests that using a stock OEM replacement clip should not move that item to the top of your list of things to worry about when you awaken each new day.

Well, I'm in the process of tearing apart my Tranny at this time, having experienced the exact same symptoms that you had. I removed the external slave, and the release fork has tons of play... ie. just flopping around in there.

Got to see what's going on with it.

Back