• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 O-ring ?

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Finally got the carrier out of the D44 I,m working on.Between the carrier bearings and the housing were what looked like big O-rings.
I have not seen any exploded drawing or parts list that showed these.
Can I leave them out when its rebuilt?
They are too big to be an axle seal.
This D44 was out of a 87 XJ,the bearings were made in Japan.It was never apart before.
Wayne

Wayne,
Are you sure they are O-rings? My 44 had a large bead of gasket sealer where the tubes began at the area behind the carrier bearings. Mine started leaking around one of the tubes when I "tweaked" it in Moab. When I had the axle bare for "un-tweaking" I dug all of the old silicone out and, after a through cleaning with brake cleaner, re-sealed it.

Axle is having gears put in now so I don't know how effective my new seal job has been.

Bones :skull1:

Bones,after reading your message I cleaned them up and checked them over in a strong light.
It would appear that they are a bead of sealer.At a glance they would pass as an O-ring,but you can see where the beads of sealer over lap.Now to get it sealed again.
Wayne

Back