• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Check Engine Light

Rufies97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all... weird thing happened the last couple days.
My check engine light has been coming on randomly and its RED now. When I had the O2 sensor problems it was always orange.

Any ideas to what this means? Everything seems to be running fine, haven't noticed any difference in performance.

Thanks,
Doug

Rufies97XJ said:
Hey all... weird thing happened the last couple days.
My check engine light has been coming on randomly and its RED now. When I had the O2 sensor problems it was always orange.

Any ideas to what this means? Everything seems to be running fine, haven't noticed any difference in performance.

Thanks,
Doug
Look here: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm for info how to pull the codes from your comp.... then let us know whta they are

Check engine light changing color...hmmm I dont have my FSM in front of me but I am sure that it is only one color, at least on my 96.

Try this, pull up your handbrake and turn the key in the ignition so that all of the lights light up including GEN and BRAKE, are they still red? perhaps the colored plastic slipped down and is in front of the MIL. Sound weird but I am trying to think of what else could cause it to go red.

Ok.. Sorry guys...
Its the check gauges light that is coming on and its red. Sorry bout that. Like I said, its random and and I don't notice it til it flashes off.
I'll pay attention to the gauges next time. the only thing it may be is the the Oil pressure gauge. I do belive my oil pump is going bad.

Rufies97XJ said:
Ok.. Sorry guys...
Its the check gauges light that is coming on and its red. Sorry bout that. Like I said, its random and and I don't notice it til it flashes off.
I'll pay attention to the gauges next time. the only thing it may be is the the Oil pressure gauge. I do belive my oil pump is going bad.

OK, how long does it stay on?? The light should be on for like a half a dozen cycles after the problem goes away. POssibly your cluster is shorting out (IIRC when my cluster was misbehaving, half of the lights came on while half the guages went out).

Rufies97XJ said:
It only stays on for a few seconds.
After I've been driving a while...

If it's on only for a short while I think you just have a connection problem. Take the cluster out, clean the connector and reseat it. ALso look underneath (below the dash) there is a big fat connector held by a nut and bolt: That might need cleaning and retightening.

Back