• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft missing?!

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys, I got the engine swapped out on my "new" '91, and just found that it's missing the front driveshaft. So I've got no 4x4! :smsoap: GRR. Well, it was 350 bucks...whatever. Anyway, it's got about 2 or 3 inches of lift in it, so I figure that's probably why the last owner took the driveshaft out, but that leaves me at the dilemma of what to do. I figured I'd probably get a new one measured and purchased, then try to stuff 'er in there myself. Any ideas or comments from the peanut gallery? I've never put in a driveshaft before...how difficult is it and what all is involved? Anyway, thanks for the help in advanced guys! :looney:

4 bolts on each side....8 total & 10 min

freewithfire said:
... I've never put in a driveshaft before...how difficult is it and what all is involved? Anyway, thanks for the help in advanced guys! :looney:

Junkyard one can't be more than $50. There are a lot of people on here with 6" or more and stock front driveshafts. I think you'd be fine. However, if you want, you can get it lengthened a bit. Lenghtening a junkyard one will cost less than a new custom one. Most shops around here (Seattle) charge less than $100 to lengthen a d-shaft. Call around, they will tell you where to measure to/from. Most likely with 3" of lift, they'd only lengthen it by about 1/2"?

Steve

I had a driveshaft go out on a long trip on me one time. I stopped on the side of the road, used just an 8mm wrench and laid on newspaper. 10 minutes later I had it off and didn't even get my hands dirty. EASY.

I have a stock front driveshaft from an early model cherokee ill sell to you for 50 plus shipping if you want it...im in the Cumming, Ga area...

Back