• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocating the stock intank fuel filter

mdwatkins

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering if anyone has ever reloacted their stock intank fuel fitler to somewhere a little more accessible?

I've got a 99 Sport and it's due for a new filter...but I really only want to have to drop the tank this once, and relocate the filter to somewhere else so that I can change it more easily in the future...

Matt

They only went to the in-tank filter in 97 or 98 - before that we used a rail-mounted filter on the driver's side just forward of the tank. You can see it in the photo below:
rr_brake.jpg

Yucca-Man said:
They only went to the in-tank filter in 97 or 98 - before that we used a rail-mounted filter on the driver's side just forward of the tank. You can see it in the photo below:
rr_brake.jpg

Is that a pic of your XJ?????? I am just shocked the lack of rust is warping my little mind

I prevent rust by keeping the underside coated in a scientific mixture of ATF and 10W40 Synth-Blend...

Jim

The fuel filter in the '97+ XJs should not need any attention whatsoever.....or until the fuel pump itself needs servicing- then is replaced as a unit. I know this sounds pretty bad, but is what is used with the 'non-return' type of fuel delivery systems these engines have. Personally it does not particularly worry me because i have seen many vehicles go way over 150k miles with original filters still working well with the typical bypass fuel systems.

I agree with Judd. I just replaced my '90 XJ filter with 188K miles. Only reason is because I broke off the inlet nipple adding a check valve to the system. When I got the old one out, the gas poured dark brown out of the inlet side, but clear out of the outlet side. I could still blow through it no problem. That sucker must have a hell of a capacity for dirt.
MoFo

Be careful when removing the fuel filter. On my 95 4.0L I relieved the pressure like it stated in the manual and I got drenched with gas. It really sucked so be careful. Maybe I did something wrong. :dunno:

Yucca-Man said:
I prevent rust by keeping the underside coated in a scientific mixture of ATF and 10W40 Synth-Blend...

Jim

That wouldn't translate to a leaky rear seal and TC case output seal would it :D

Back