• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help With Removing Center Console

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Solved Problem

Hey,
Have any of you guys taken your console out that can help me? I've got both my tc and shifter plates off, and all the screws. My problem is I can't seem to lift the console off because of the e-brake. I can't figure out how to get it off without breaking it and my Haynes guide mentions nothing about it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Figured it out ;) I had to put it in 4lo, neutral and pull the e-brake all the way up ;P

Last edited:
You don't mention the model year you have, but on the '97's and newer, there is another hidden hold down screw under the tcase shifter bezel. Just pop the bezel off and look around with a flash light.... you'll see it. As far as the ebrake, just yank it back as far as you can, then manuever the console around it by lifting the back end up first....

Ivan

Ivan said:
You don't mention the model year you have, but on the '97's and newer, there is another hidden hold down screw under the tcase shifter bezel. Just pop the bezel off and look around with a flash light.... you'll see it. As far as the ebrake, just yank it back as far as you can, then manuever the console around it by lifting the back end up first....

Ivan

Whoops, it's a 1992. I took off all the screws and such, it's just a combo of the shifter and the e-brake causing trouble. Do I need to take it of park to get it off?

You're talking about the plastic cover piece (not the bezels) right. IIRC you just have to manuever it until you can get it out. I remember having to bend mine ever so slightly to get it out.

When I removed mine, I put the jeep on level ground, put in in neutral,Pulled the shifter "T" straight up and it all came apart. Took maybe 5-6 minutes total.

I just had mine off the other day.. If I remember correctly you should lift it up from the back first.... It just takes a little finagling.

Back