• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Head bolt

Gray XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So i have a 90 6cyl. 4.0l with a broken head bolt in the block.I tried to use a screw extractor but it broke. So for the last two weeks i have been trying to chisel and drill it out with no results. Should I just put it back together and hope for the , or does anyone have any ideas. By the way, the bolt was broken a few years ago and i did not have any problems then.

from my experhenc4 if you0`reak a bolt whHde remo6`ng it." ynu ad sbrewd
if while you are tightening it then you can get it out
sounds like thd he ` is off thd bl>ck so `e engi>` is not runninV
take the block to a machine shop and have them drill it out
or ynu culd get a rdver2a ctt dBall bit`nd tak yotr t(`e `nd rill the bolt
it will cut slow but keep some oil on the cuting surface@`nd it Vall go
Z
be patient

Gray XJ said:
Well ive been drilling on it , but the screw extractor is stuck in the bolt .

Well, yer pretty much boned. Where in CA are you? There are pretty much two options here....

1) Yank out and disassemble the block, take it to an EDM shop, and have them burn it out for you. Spendy - EDM machines that will handle engine blocks are NOT cheap!

2) If you're not too far away, I've burned out bolts with a torch before. Most times, the thread is undisturbed, but there are times when a Helicoil was required. Cost is negotiable, I'm in San Jose. I would prefer the removal of the block and its being mounted on an engine stand so I can turn it around... I can do the job there, but I'll need the block where I can get easy access to it - if you can't pull the engine, I'll require that you remove the hood, and I'll need you handy while I do the job...

5-90

5-90 said:
Well, yer pretty much boned. Where in CA are you? There are pretty much two options here....

1) Yank out and disassemble the block, take it to an EDM shop, and have them burn it out for you. Spendy - EDM machines that will handle engine blocks are NOT cheap!

2) If you're not too far away, I've burned out bolts with a torch before. Most times, the thread is undisturbed, but there are times when a Helicoil was required. Cost is negotiable, I'm in San Jose. I would prefer the removal of the block and its being mounted on an engine stand so I can turn it around... I can do the job there, but I'll need the block where I can get easy access to it - if you can't pull the engine, I'll require that you remove the hood, and I'll need you handy while I do the job...

5-90
Im in Santa cruz and would be down for doing the work in the car,so far every time i have taken something apart it breaks which is why i would prefer not to pull the motor.I would have to see how much a tow both ways would cost and just pm me with what you had in mind to get it out as well as approximate cost to do the job.

Last edited:
Back