• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking on acceleration

witt

NAXJA Forum User
a friend of mine has got a clunking sound whenever he accelerates. he's got a 3" lift, rusty's coils and chevy S-10 leaf's swap.... stock arms, stock everything else. . ect. . . we went wheeling and he landed on his exhaust pushing it up a little bit....

so ya whenever he accelerates theres 2-3 popping sounds (quickly in succession) that come from underneath. its only when he accelerates....
he thinks its the exhaust.. i think he needs to rebuild his driveshaft. . .
what do you guys think??

witt said:
a friend of mine has got a clunking sound whenever he accelerates. he's got a 3" lift, rusty's coils and chevy S-10 leaf's swap.... stock arms, stock everything else. . ect. . . we went wheeling and he landed on his exhaust pushing it up a little bit....

so ya whenever he accelerates theres 2-3 popping sounds (quickly in succession) that come from underneath. its only when he accelerates....
he thinks its the exhaust.. i think he needs to rebuild his driveshaft. . .
what do you guys think??

Also it's possible that he's got axle wrap and as he accelerates the driveline angle changes and it's binding/popping on the ujoint.

One more item to look at is where the shackles bolt up to the frame. I had a weird popping sound when I accelerated or when I turned a corner with bumps in it. I found that the new spring packs made the shackle sit at a different angle. The edges of the shackles where rubbing on the frame mount, where it hangs down, and was causing the sound. At first I thought it was the shocks but after I crawled under and looked around, took me three or four times to actually locate it, I found it. I took some vise-grips and just bent the metal right where it was rubbing out a little.

Alex

I have this exact same problem. It seems like the sound is coming from right below the center console. Mine is a stock '95 XJ and I first started hearing the sounds after I took it wheeling a couple times.

replace the rear u-joints, only cost about 25 bucks. That was my problem when I had that noise

I had noises like these running 3" of lift with a stock rear driveline. It was the slip yoke making the noise because there was not enough engagement on the spline and too much wear on the yoke.

Les

Back