• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine bearings

rngrfrd2000

NAXJA Forum User
i seem to have developed some noise out of the bottom end of the motor. i am 90% sure that it's a bearing. my question is, if i remove the pan can i get to and replace those main and connecting rod bearings. if enyone has tried this, thinks i am nuts, has a better idea ,or thinks that at 202K miles its making normal operating noise....let me know please

thanks guys

Many people have done this. Getting the pan off is a bit of a nuisance, but after that it's straightforward. What kind of noise? Many XJs go well beyond 200K without needing bearings. Is your oil pressure lower than spec? (Spec is 13 psi at idle, 37 to 75 psi above 1600 RPM)

i believe it to be a rod bearing. at idle it knocks and at speed under a load it is beginning to wrap a little....would a little miricle in a bottle help prolong it or should i go buy bearings...?

Noise in the bottom of the engine has been discussed in many threads here before. I think there was a very good one just last week. Use the search pull down at the top of this screen. If you have an auto transmission, try searching for flex plate. Those bolts come loose and can make quite a racket at idle and usually quiet down once they are loaded. Also search for more general strings, such as "engine noise" or "rod bearing". You will find lots here to study.
MoFo

rngrfrd2000 said:
i believe it to be a rod bearing. at idle it knocks and at speed under a load it is beginning to wrap a little....would a little miricle in a bottle help prolong it or should i go buy bearings...?

What's your oil pressure and what oil and filter do you run?

Back