• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer skid studs

xjhm

NAXJA Forum User
are all of the transfer case crossmembers held in place by a 1 stud and 1 bolt on each side?
does the stud press in and out, or does it thread into place?
i tried to back mine out by double nutting it and also by a large pair of vise-grips.
my thought was it could be pressed in from the topside(even though i couldn't gain acess to the back/topside of the stud)
also where it goes into the chassis/floorpan, there were no visible threads
i need to install the trans. drop but want to resolve this first.

On my '93 the studs were screwed in. I couldn't get them off by double nutting so I had the nuts welded to the studs to get them out.

Jes

It's a screw-in. Most t-case drop kits have four longer bolts that will screw right into the nutserts.

If you can't get them out by double-nutting or vise-grips try tightening slightly or even lightly whacking the stud to loosen it before removal. Don't hit it too hard or you *will* end up figuring out a way to replace that nutsert in the framerail.

I removed the studs on my 96 by purchasing a cheapo china set of "vise grips" and welding them to the stud and then just twisting it out. Then ground the bolt outta the "vise grips" and repeated for the other side. Then donated the "vise grips" to my local trash man. HTH.

heating them up helps too..

I had to weld nuts on both of mine also. vice grips and everything else didn't work for me.

I'll 2nd the suggestion for a stud remover. Worked great for me. $25 at sears.

Jared:patriot:

Back