• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

600 dollar xj questions

Moabrox

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to buy an XJ from a guy here in town for 600 dollars. The Jeep was built up before and is now stock. All he wants is the body of the vehicle and he says i can have what i want. It does have a swapped in 44 rear axle and a hp30 front axle which I would definately be salvaging. The question I have is it has a 5 speed manual tranny and does it have a 242 transfer case. I know most of the auto trannies came with the 242 but I don't know about the transfer case. Oh yeah it is also a 1989. I'm actually a ZJ guy and want to swap in the parts but I figured you guys would know more. I'm really wanting to swap out my 249.

If you truly believe the case is the one that originally came with the vehicle, it will have both full and part time 4wd high marked on the shifter. If you think it has been swapped, the easy way to tell is to get under it and look at the badge on the back of the case it will say 242 or 231 on it.
mattk

It is not accurate to say that "most" of the automatics came with a 242 transfer case. Especially as far back as '89, I would guess that in fact "most" did not. The 242 was a optional transfer case even with the automatic, except on the top of the line models. The 242 was never offered by Jeep with the 5-speed.

Sounds like the axles alone are worth $600.

Ok so I found out that it is actually an 87 Xj and it is still a 5 speed. The reason I'm asking is I haven't had a chance to really get up close and look at it and I don't think I'll have time to soon. So if it's not a 242 what could it be? and 231? that'd be cool too.

Moabrox said:
Ok so I found out that it is actually an 87 Xj and it is still a 5 speed. The reason I'm asking is I haven't had a chance to really get up close and look at it and I don't think I'll have time to soon. So if it's not a 242 what could it be? and 231? that'd be cool too.

Some of the 87-88's came with the D44; may just be a stocker. Either way, if that's the stock 5 speed you probably want to go easy on it. The BA-10 wasn't exactly what you would call "strong" by any stretch of the imagination! I've heard some folks who've had good luck with them, but they aren't using them off-road and are really anal about servicing their vehicles. Most of the folks with them have had them eat themselves and had to replace it with an AX-15 & 23 spline t-case input shaft. YMMV...

Back