• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ballancing engine during Rebuild?? Yes/No?

JBrobeck

NAXJA Forum User
Engine (4.0) is at the machine shop being punched .040 over, having cam bearings installed and New pistons pressed onto the rods. I am wondering if the 4.0l would benefit from having the reciprocating assembly reballanced? I am on a budget and that would kind of blow the budget, but I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks

Josh

any engine will see benifits from a good balancing. While I6's are inherantly balanced due to engine design, a good balancing will reduce vibrations and help you parts last longer. Worth every penny IMO

Re: Ballancing engine during Rebuild?? /No?

[As stated in the other post - 6 cyls are balanced by design (oposite piston & rod) as opposed to a V8 which uses counterweight so if you have a matched set of pistons & rods all you are balancing is the difference in piston sets or rod sets. Very minimal and not worth it in an engine that doesn't turn over 5000 RPM.

Back