• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 RE superflex tire sizes

jlaw3000

NAXJA Forum User
is it possible to run 33's without too much trimming.. if not any suggestions for exra clearance that wont make me get a new drive shaft.

I am running 33's with 5.75 inches up front and about 5 in the rear right now. i had to trim the rear of the front fender closest to the door a little bit. And since I have still popped off my fenders twice and bent up my fender in 2 places. But then again I have no bumpstops. For the rear I have HD quarter panel guards that my tires have rubbed against. I have made the mistake by wheeling without extending my bumpstops causing my tires to be torn to shit allready in 2 weeks just by rubbing on sheet metal and quarter panel guards. My advice is, trim the front and back some and put extended bumpstops on. Take my advice and do it right the first time, or else youll pay more in the long run. Or go all out and do Bushwackers or TJ flares, and youll easily be able to run 33's with some fine tune adjustments to the suspension. And about the driveshaft thing, my buddy has a 94' with 7" up front and 6" in the rear with 38" swampers (with the most trimming ive ever seen, and no flex). But he is somehow running his stock driveshaft with a 2" transfer case drop and shims. Dont ask how, but it proves it can be done. He drives it on a weekly basis too.

Last edited:
you can run any tire size you want, you just need to trim to fit. I'm going to the RE kit you are from the teraflex budget boost, that I run with 33's. I'm keeping the 33's, since the suspension will be able to flex more. I am HEAVILY trimmed.

I ran 33's on slightly less than 4" lift for about a year with what I'd consider minimal trimming.

get 15x8s w/ 4" backspacing.

follow the cutting/folding directions here: http://www.jeepin.com/features/bushwacker/index.asp

on the front floorpans, there is a pinch seam that sticks into the wheelwell, you need to hammer that over so it sits flat (it WILL cut your tires when stuffed/turning)

run flareless or install the factory flares up higher or use YJ/TJ flares (I used YJ flares)

extend your rear bumpstops 1.5" or so as well (you can then run a much longer shock and get WAY more droop, I was still running fairly short rear shocks in the pic below)

flexin08.jpg

that's about the best pic I have of it with the 33's.

but my junk flexes just fine w/ the 36s that are on it now (w/ the same lift, but with more sag). there's a little bit of rubbing up front when turned hard, but I generally don't like turning hard as it puts too much stress on the u-joints

scoutin04.jpg

if I can do that, you can do 33's on 4.5" with NOOOO problems.

Back