• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee dual exhaust??? thoughts?

homey_15

NAXJA Forum User
"I noticed a BIG increase (if you can say that about my engine) when I went to my new exhaust. It was a Gibson Grand Cherokee exhaust, I had new pipe bent for it and the shop just removed my cat since it was so banged up and shot. It's 2" pipe. I would stay away from dual. It just doesn't look right on a cherokee. Kinda poserish."

i'm torn on what to do here guys, i know people that run exhaust so i can get it done semi-cheap. i can see how you could make it look really gay if you're not careful but if i did it, i'd run true dual 2" all the way back and then make it exit just like it did from the factory, only on both sides. thoughts? would it look like crap or be ok? i think that unless you knew what you are talkin about you'd never notice it but thats why i'm making this post, seeing what everyone else's opinion on the subject is. thanks again guys.

didnt think about that, thatd be a bad deal. i'll crawl under there later and see if theres enough room to even think about it. i just assumed there was, perhaps i was wrong.

this idea has officially been nixed as i'm pretty sure itd cause my cherokee to go sky high.......looks like i'll be doing more checking into a bigger single setup......

It all depends, do you want true duals or something like a large single pipe to the muffler and then two out. I think it would be tough to run true duals on an XJ because of clearance, but it could be done but would most likely involve running both pipes down the passenger side. On my LT1 I run a single 3" to the muffler and then it splits into two coming out of the muffler. It is tight getting it all around the gas tank and springs, but it works. And personally I don't see any problem with the looks of duals on an XJ. I personally think some 3" chrome tips would look a little goofy not to mention a lack of clearance for them. I use some small borla tips. Here is a bad pic, I know the drivers side is lower, it is because the bolt came out of the hanger, but it is fixed.
vwp

I wouldn't split it, that's fake. Do you have the v6? you could probably do true duals on that... It would be really hard with a 4.0. I looked into it, since my PS header has two outlets. It would take a lot of intricate bending. It's possible, but I decided to wait on that project. A strait 6 kinda should have a single pipe anyway. sounds like a datsun :D

It's possible to split I6 exhaust - some headers are dual/triple and can run two parallel pipes to the rear with either tube resonators or a double-input muffler...

I remember seeing this run over the board here recently, and no-one answered the most pertinent question - why? Given the way an inline six breathes, if you are running more air into it, go to either a 2.75" or (biggest!) 3" pipe and high-flow catalytic converter and exhaust.

A well-made header is setup to take the exhaust pulses and use the slight vacuum between them to enhance sxhaust gas scavenging, and you will likley lose that if you split the exhaust. I'd keep the six-into-one arrangement, and just go with a little bigger pipe (but definitely, no bigger than 3.00"!)

5-90

The pacesetter header has half the cylenders on one collector and half on the other. I'd be easy to run out the sides, but as for a legal true dual setup, that's what I don';t know about

The only true way to do dual pipes is with a v-8 swap! LOL!

I'v seen dual's on a cherokee...sounded like a rice burner...and yes it was a 4.0L........also no need for a dual's on a 4.0L as the horse power is no where near the need for dual's...you would also lose alot of low and mid range power to gain a very minumum top end...jusy my 2 cents

i actually have a v6, i see no need for duals on something that doesnt have more than one exhaust manifold

Iagree, a six is not the best candidate for duals. On my LT1, I would have run duals all the way back, there just wasn't room so I went with a large pipe to the muffler and then splitting into two smaller ones. I was just saying looks wise duals look pretty good coming out the back. But if it sounded like a bumble bee then it might be different.

More pipes are just more things to get hit and torn off under a Jeep.

On a low RPM high torque aplication you are just not going ot get the kind of gains to make it worth the cost and effort IMO

My old 2.8 sounded pretty damn mean when I had to go get new bolts for the downpipe and had ALL the exhaust off from the collectors back (open manifolds?)

2.8s are shitty engines, but runnin duals, and flowmaster 40s they sound MEAN as all hell.

split exhaust is a waste of time on a inline 6. even the guys running the strokers keep the 2.25 pipe for adequate backpressure. spend the money on a cam shaft and gear. if you want any real horsepower gain.

bill hitchcock said:
split exhaust is a waste of time on a inline 6. even the guys running the strokers keep the 2.25 pipe for adequate backpressure. spend the money on a cam shaft and gear. if you want any real horsepower gain.
He doesn't have a inline. It's a V, read the thread.

I run true dual exhaust with headers, two mufflers and side exhaust. with a Chevy V8. it is a really tight fit.my front DS has been known to rub it from time to time.
I dont see any reason to run a dual exhaust on a 4.0 Actually, (not that its a big deal) adding dual exhaust will add uneeded weight if anything
\\hoot

THE_OWL said:
I dont see any reason to run a dual exhaust on a 4.0 Actually, (not that its a big deal) adding dual exhaust will add uneeded weight if anything
\\hoot

COMMON PEOPLE. HE DOESN'T HAVE A 4.0. IT'S A V6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone actually read these threads?

Back