• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

degree shims

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
those of you running an 8" lift, what degree shims are you running? i want to correct my shaft angle. also, can i use a degree shim with a leaf/block setup?

no correct answer... you have to measure the transfercase output shaft angle and make the pinion angle the same(they need to be parralel to each other) if it is a slip yoke
if have the sye then pinion 1 degree down from the centerline of the shaft
with 5" lift i ran a 3` shim and was very close on my angles and still had vibes or you can use the old formula for this
(the angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the beat of the meat) 1

footnote; beavis and butthead 1995

I have also seen guys reverse the blocks with a larger degree shim, that is if your blocks are tapered; but if you can mill down the shim then do that rather than playing reversal games. Also what is even better is to eliminate the shim and cut the spring perches off and rotate the axle and reweld them to the exact degree angle neccessary, that too has a downside which is when you decide to add a little more lift and have to do it all over again.

xjrugger said:
I have also seen guys reverse the blocks with a larger degree shim, that is if your blocks are tapered; but if you can mill down the shim then do that rather than playing reversal games. Also what is even better is to eliminate the shim and cut the spring perches off and rotate the axle and reweld them to the exact degree angle neccessary, that too has a downside which is when you decide to add a little more lift and have to do it all over again.

i think thats what i'll do, i don't see myself going any higher than 8"

brandon

Back