• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift kit POLL: pros and cons of RK, RE, TM, RO

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys.

I have done searches and have read and read and will admit I am sick of reading so much. I am planning to purchase a 4.5" lift for my 2001XJ. Can anyone give me their opinion (pros and cons) on any of the leading manufacturers...Rockkrawler, Rubicon Express, Tomken Machine, and Rusty's Offroad? My current plan is to use RE6130 lift kit with ACOS in the front and rockkrawler shackles in back. Will also use a RE SYE. I have heard varying opinions on the rear springs of different companies....like rusty's sag, RE have had kinks in them, some kits use HEIM joints and others don't which aren't as good, etc.

Can anyone give me a basic lesson on what to look for...THANKS!

2001XJ

2001XJ said:
Hello guys.

I have done searches and have read and read and will admit I am sick of reading so much. I am planning to purchase a 4.5" lift for my 2001XJ. Can anyone give me their opinion (pros and cons) on any of the leading manufacturers...Rockkrawler, Rubicon Express, Tomken Machine, and Rusty's Offroad? My current plan is to use RE6130 lift kit with ACOS in the front and rockkrawler shackles in back. Will also use a RE SYE. I have heard varying opinions on the rear springs of different companies....like rusty's sag, RE have had kinks in them, some kits use HEIM joints and others don't which aren't as good, etc.

Can anyone give me a basic lesson on what to look for...THANKS!

2001XJ

Just about everyone in the Sierra Chapter that I have meet runs Rubicon Express. I have the 5.5 Extreme Duty with a 2" boost kit running 35" mtr's.

alright my setup has worked great for me. i originally started with all RE parts and later switched to rusty control arms.
RE drop brackes and braces
New RE 7.5" coils
rusty 6" lift control arms
RE SS brakelines
RE monotube shocks
RE 1.5 lift block kit
Rocky road outfitter 1.5" shackles (6" in length)
RE 4.5" rear leaf springs
currie SYE and CV shaft

i have friends that run all rusty parts, and in my opinion they perform just as well. the only thing was that we had a harder time installing rusty's parts than RE parts... I too have heard some sagging stories about Rusty's. but have never personally seen it.

brandon

i run the 3" rusty kit
got some longer or better yet adjustable arms
make sure of the actual lift once installed... rusty's 3"rear springs actually netted almost 5" so i used a spacer 1 3/4" up front to level
then i had to get the adjustable track bar
not to mention the woods shaft and sye that arrived today
larger tires, new wheels to get a little offset
or you could use spacers to keep the tires off the lca
shims for the rear
new u-bolts for the rear axle... if you shim and want to keep your swaybar the bolts are a little too short
disconnects or lengthen your factory links
and alignment....most times your better off to eyeball aand measure it yourself than to take it to a shop where the guy says the track is too wide or the caster is too far out to do anything with...
believe it or not all mechanics are not mechanically inclined or willing to overstep the factory specs on a lifted truck...

i love my lift but probably would have been better off to wait until i had all the parts before i started installing....or may have been better off or cheaper to buy a "complete kit"
most companys that have been around for any amount off time have good products
alot of "problems" people have with products come from incorrect installation

just remember what you are using the xj for.....
bias ply mudders will ride and handle decent
but not like a 235 all-terain on the highway imho

both Rusty's and RE have the most complete kits available, it is my opinion that they also have the most time in development with their products.
some times the best question to ask them is, "what doesn't your kit come with and why not"
also, check out the leaf springs from Big Offroad http://www.bigoffroad.com/vendors/bigoffroad/index.htm
there not as flexy as the others but make up for it cargo capablity....they just will not sag period.

The rough country front coils I bought are GREAT. I have had "zero" problems, shipping = 2 days, tech support = you call you get what you need, easy to order = ebay ( davey1445). I am really happy with the coils and shocks. I dont know about the rear spring packs. I have RE 3" AALs and they are blah-blah.

Rough Country

Can't comment on anything else the RE as I have mostly RE stuff. In any case, I think RE has pretty nice kits and it all just depends on how much $$ you wanna spend. Anyways their superflex arms are really nice as well as their leaf springs (can't talk about coils as those are still standing in the garage in the box.... long story :D). Anyways, I also have their heavy duty track bar and mount and the hack and tap sye with the shaft......

Anyways, for shipping, a lot also depends on who you go through: I recommend going through Richard @ www.fullsizexjgear.com. He's treated me really well when it came to prices as well as making sure that RE sends their stuff in a timely manner. Others also recomend Dirk at DPG offroad, and he's also pretty good (got my Driveshaft and SYE from him before I realized Richard sells RE stuff).

Guys.

Thanx for the replies. I am leaning towards the RE6130 kits and substituting the following parts into the kit:

4.5 rear leaf springs
HD track bar w/bracket
Adjustable lower control arms
Adjustable upper control arms

If you have any suggestions, fire away. I would rather cover everything I need to know before purchasing. Also, thanks for the recommendations on who to go through....I will check out Dirk and the other guys as well.

2001XJ

2001XJ said:
Guys.

Thanx for the replies. I am leaning towards the RE6130 kits and substituting the following parts into the kit:

4.5 rear leaf springs
HD track bar w/bracket

If you have any suggestions, fire away. I would rather cover everything I need to know before purchasing. Also, thanks for the recommendations on who to go through....I will check out Dirk and the other guys as well.

2001XJ

On the arms get the superflex ones instead of the standard ones.

anyone else have any info? thanks

2001xj

Kejtar said:
On the arms get the superflex ones instead of the standard ones.
The RE6130 is the Super-Flex kit and has those arms already.

2001XJ said:

4.5 rear leaf springs
HD track bar w/bracket
What are your plans for an SYE? That grouping looks good so far but you may want to swap in JKS Discos as well.

Last edited:
Y-M.

I thought the RE6130 came with JKS discos already? If not, I will go with the discos. Is there anything you recommend, like a certain measurement when substituting them? Also, I was thinking of getting ACOS by jks/orgs (I may want to go higher in the future, just in case)....any suggestions there also?

thanks.
2001XJ

Y-M.

Forgot to answer your inquiry about the SYE. I plan to get the SYE but I heard you don't need it in conjuction with the T-case lowering kit. I most likely will still need one but maybe I WILL GET LUCKY. Do you think I should order an SYE right away, or see if the t-case lowering kit is enough and if it doesn't work then go with the SYE?

thanks
2001XJ

I just installed the RE 3.5" Superflex kit on my XJ. One thing you need to think of is how much lift do you want? My 3.5" kit came with replacement rear spring packs and is sitting at 6" in the rear. I had to leave my 2" coil spacer in the front to level it out. Something to think about.

Go RE.

E-mail DC at [email protected] , I know Dirk, Jason, and RJ have good prices, but I was quoted $690 from DC for over $1150 (retail) worth of lift stuff from RE.

96country said:
I just installed the RE 3.5" Superflex kit on my XJ. One thing you need to think of is how much lift do you want? My 3.5" kit came with replacement rear spring packs and is sitting at 6" in the rear. I had to leave my 2" coil spacer in the front to level it out. Something to think about.

I don't understand, I purchased th RE1462's, 4.5" lift springs. At the most they have given me 5". Whats the deal here, I know leafs need to break in and settle, but this is rediculus!. Are you sure you got the 3.5" leaf springs or is everyone just comparing there lift to when they had saggy OEM packs on. :dunno:

Where is everyone measuring from? The center of the wheel to the fender flare is not acurate. You need to measure from the spring to the frame rail.

ChuckD said:
I don't understand, I purchased th RE1462's, 4.5" lift springs. At the most they have given me 5". Whats the deal here, I know leafs need to break in and settle, but this is rediculus!. Are you sure you got the 3.5" leaf springs or is everyone just comparing there lift to when they had saggy OEM packs on. :dunno:

Where is everyone measuring from? The center of the wheel to the fender flare is not acurate. You need to measure from the spring to the frame rail.
CHuck... I had the same thing happen to me. It took it a while to settle and now it's sitting between 4.25" and 4.5". When I already put them in the first thing I said was: HOLY CRAP.... next thing was: COOL... now I don't need spotters in the front cause of the angle the cab is sitting at :)
Oh and the measurement was done against the height numbers of the perch to the frame or something like that.

As for the Disconnects, RE still shows the 6130 coming with RE Discos. When you order, the reseller should be able to substitute the discos. www.jksmfg.com shows p/n JKS2001 for '84 - '01 XJ with 4" to 6" of lift

Back