• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-350 MC in a 2000XJ

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
It appears that I'm a little shy on volume now that I've got my 8.8 axle w/rr discs on. I'm considering going to an E-350 MC, but not sure if it will bolt-up to my booster on my 2000XJ that was originally setup for ABS.
Will it work? What year E350 MC shouldd I be looking at? (I already did a search)
Thanx,

BLUTO

It'll fit, you've gotta grind the outer dia. of the mounting flange on the m/c and grind the bolt holes a little closer together (I used a belt sander), minor stuff. I put one in mine, non-ABS booster & it is amazingly better brakes.

-jb

Thanks for the input on the E350 MC.
Another part that MAY work (in my case) is the WJ master cylinder? WJ's have 4-wheel discs from factory, so you'd think that they would produce the volume that I need too....right?

BLUTO

BLUTO said:
Thanks for the input on the E350 MC.
Another part that MAY work (in my case) is the WJ master cylinder? WJ's have 4-wheel discs from factory, so you'd think that they would produce the volume that I need too....right?

BLUTO

I dont know about that one, contact Mike Rollins on the board. He's done that mod I think. I'm pretty sure it's much more involved than the m/c swap.

-jb

I know the ZJ MC is the same as the newer XJ. If its the rear that is lacking you can remove the oring in the proportioning valve or swap in a ZJ proportioning valve. Seems to work for some.

I just finished my axle swaps. My pedal is extremely soft now with the big Chevy 1/2 ton front discs and Lincoln Rear discs.

Is that what the E-350 MC will improve?

basalt51 said:
I know the ZJ MC is the same as the newer XJ. If its the rear that is lacking you can remove the oring in the proportioning valve or swap in a ZJ proportioning valve. Seems to work for some.

I just finished my axle swaps. My pedal is extremely soft now with the big Chevy 1/2 ton front discs and Lincoln Rear discs.

Cool :) , I was thinking about the ZJ or WJ possibly working. You need more capacity from the MC to operate the rear discs. The pistons are larger than the wheel cylinders in the XJ rear drum set-up. We're fairly convinced that it's a VOLUME problem and the E350 MC should bolt right up to the older (approx '88 thru '92) XJs....being that they are Bendix products. Bendix no longer makes these MC's (they were bought out some time ago by a "bigger fish" (can't remember who at the moment)...they only make air brakes for big trucks now.
After talking to some brake lab engineers at work today (DC); I decided that it would be in my/family's best interest to install an adjustable proportional control valve inside the Jeep (probably in the console). As the load and road conditions change, you are going to want to be able to compensate. The factory installed prop. valve was designed for rear drums and anti-locks...now we've changed the rules and the old OEM prop valve may not be up to the task. This was putting it lightly from several engineers who developed our truck braking systems :nono:

Yes, that is what I've been told, I don't know what range of years (XJ's) it will fit on, but the part# (E350 MC) is supposedly the same from "87 thru '95.

BLUTO :)

basalt51 said:

I used to run standard D30 front discs and Cadillac rears. I pulled the o-ring from my prop. valve & it didnt' do smack.

For my new setup I've got dual piston 1ton Ferd front brakes & 3/4ton Chevy calipers in the rear. As you can imagine, I had nothing for brakes. Swapped in the E350 M/C and it's now awesome, I can stop on a dime & give you change, even with 38s.

The greater volume in each push is what helped in my situation, and no the pedal is as easy as stock to push.

-jb

When I went to carpart.com to look-up E350 MC's, they ask if it's for a "cutaway", cruise control, or non-cruise control van. I think cutaway means chassis-cab. Which E350 MC type did you use? :dunno:

BLUTO

BLUTO said:
When I went to carpart.com to look-up E350 MC's, they ask if it's for a "cutaway", cruise control, or non-cruise control van. I think cutaway means chassis-cab. Which E350 MC type did you use? :dunno:

BLUTO

I dont think it matters m/c wise. I looked for the p/n & didn't find it, if you do a search I posted the p/n a couple months ago. It's a Napa PN & cost $21.00

-jb

vintagespeed said:

That's it!!! Holy crap my wife is going to kill me! I told her I'ld stop working on the cherokee for a while! It won't matter that it's only 20 bucks! Plus she's getting tired of helping me bleed brakes at 1 in the morning :D

ah well. She's stuck with me now ;)

EDIT: Here's the PN- TSM102008

Last edited:
My brakes suck. New 88 XJ booster, New 86 E350 MC, New front dual piston calipers on ford 79 dana 60, and new shoes on the d70 rear.

Here is what I bought. you will need some adaptors to fit it to your hard lines.

For XJ, The 84-86 E350 Van MC is a 1-1/8" bore with 3/8-24 and 7/16-20 ports on the right side. the A1 Cardone number is 10-2008,
cost about $18 with a core or $28 without. Need the monting holes drilled out to 9/16in and the sides grinded down to fit into your booster.
but bolts right up to the 88XJ booster. Edelmann part #258540 ($3.19) and Edelmann part #258430 ($2.99)

Edelmann #258540, Everco #805D, Weatherhead #7917
Female Inverted Flare Seat 5/16", Male Inverted Flare Tube 1/4"

Edelmann #258430, Everco #0158, Weatherhead #7828,
Female Inverted Flare Seat 1/4", ale Inverted Flare Tube 3/16"

I though the newer XJ and TJ guys have a different booster then my 88xj or something, and were using the: 98 Dodge ram 3500, doesnt matter if its gas or diesel. I only have the part number for O-rielly auto parts ( 10-2867 )?

But hay my brakes suck so dont listen to me.

ashmanjeepxj said:
My brakes suck. New 88 XJ booster, New 86 E350 MC, New front dual piston calipers on ford 79 dana 60, and new shoes on the d70 rear.....But hay my brakes suck so dont listen to me.

You must have some other problem then Ash, that setup should be perfect. I'm running essentially the same + discs in the rear and it works awesome. I AM running braided lines fr & rr though, not that it should be a big difference.

Maybe you've got a leak or a bad wheel cyl. in the rear or something? Is your pedal firm?

-jb

BLUTO said:
It appears that I'm a little shy on volume now that I've got my 8.8 axle w/rr discs on. I'm considering going to an E-350 MC, but not sure if it will bolt-up to my booster on my 2000XJ that was originally setup for ABS.
Will it work? What year E350 MC shouldd I be looking at? (I already did a search)
Thanx,

BLUTO

My buddy did the same swap about 4 months ago with the same results.I had him pick-up a ZJ proportioning valve and now it will lock-up all the wheels "no problem".

Back