• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mixing XJ leaf packs.

argalaviz

NAXJA Member #1248
I recently replaced my rear pack with a new lift pack. My buddy and I are just, kind of, positive we should be able to take my old stock pack and his stock pack and mix them up and net him some lift.

Our "thinking" leads us to this plan.

1. Cut the eye off the main spring of my leaf pack.

2. Use my entire pack and his main leaf to create the new pack.

3. Have a beer.

Great plan. But the result will be unpredictable.

How much lift do you want (or does he want) to get? I used only the main leaves from another XJ as full-length AALs in an '88 XJ. It had about 165,000 miles on it and the rear had sagged between 1/2" and 3/4". After the home-brew AAL it sat about one inch above "stock," so just using another main leaf will provide about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" of lift.

Remember that (a) the "new" leaves are all arched the same as the originals, and (b) each one is shorter, so as you move down through the pack each additional leaf will add progressively less additional height. Remember also that the XJ is "spring under" which means that the thickness of the added leaves also contributes to the lift.

Be sure to buy new centering pins. You'll have to cut the old ones off, and they'll be too short anyway.

BTW -- They are hard to cut, but if I were doing this I would trim the ends of any of the shorter leaves before adding them to the original pack, so the lengths are staggered relative to the original leaves. This isn't completely necessary, but it makes for a better-working spring that'll last longer.

Eagle said:
Great plan. But the result will be unpredictable.

Remember that (a) the "new" leaves are all arched the same as the originals, and (b) each one is shorter, so as you move down through the pack each additional leaf will add progressively less additional height. Remember also that the XJ is "spring under" which means that the thickness of the added leaves also contributes to the lift.

Eagle said:
BTW -- They are hard to cut, but if I were doing this I would trim the ends of any of the shorter leaves before adding them to the original pack, so the lengths are staggered relative to the original leaves. This isn't completely necessary, but it makes for a better-working spring that'll last longer.

I see what you mean with the leafs thickness adding to the lift. I think we ahould stagger each old leaf with it's shortened cousin and should net the thickness total, plus what ever arch is left. It should ride like crap but my buddies XJ is a toy not a DD so who cares...

Back