• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 1 1/4 shackle or leave it.

SOOLONG

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ. I just recently installed a rear bumper and tire carrier in the rear. I have rubicon express 3.5" packs in the rear. I've heard it is desirable to have the rear a little lower than the front. After installing the rear bumper the rear sits 1 1/4" lower than the front. I've also heard that a rear shackle will help my leaf springs flex. So do I Install the shackle and bring it to level or do I leave it? Also will I have problems with axle wrap if I install this? What causes axle wrap? I also have a protofab front winch bumper on the front that I have not yet installed a winch on. So if you say yes to the shackle in the rear and then I put the winch on in a couple of months do I just worry about the front then and throw in a spacer on top of the RE coil? Or do I just leave the shackle out and let a winch even things out a little more? Give me your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

Joe

SOOLONG said:
I've heard it is desirable to have the rear a little lower than the front.

Who told you that?

After installing the rear bumper the rear sits 1 1/4" lower than the front. I've also heard that a rear shackle will help my leaf springs flex. So do I Install the shackle and bring it to level or do I leave it?

Yes, it will help the spring pack flex better. Just install it. RE shackle is in reality provides only .75" lift

Also will I have problems with axle wrap if I install this? What causes axle wrap?

It depends more on how soft the spring is and not the shackle.

I have a 130lbs. rear bumper and longer shackles. You will want to use them, trust me. Axle wrap?, ahh nope, your thinking too much.

Back