• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" 3rd members

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 9" sitting behind my house that my brother ran in his 68 camaro. I plan on putting it under my Jeep this summer. I have to weld on new spring perches for the SOA and right now it's just the housing. I have a set of 33 spline Strange axles in my garage, but I'm going to need to find a 33 spline 3rd member. Would i be able to find one out of Ford truck with a 9" and 33 spline? I believe he still has the brakes for it and they are the smaller drum brakes opposed to the monstrous ones on some of them. I really don't have the money to do a disc conversion unfortunately, but maybe later on.

So, does anyone know somewhere I can find a 9" 33 spline 3rd member? I'd like to look used if possible. Any other info on this setup would be helpful. By the way, I did search around the net, on here, and Ebay as well. I was also thinking about going with a D60, but I have this 9" already as well as axles, so I basically only need gears, locker, and 3rd member. Ah I don't know, it's a decision i gotta make i guess! Thanks for any help

The highest spline factory Ford 9" was the 31 spline big bearing housings found under mid-late '70s Ford F-150s and Fullsize Broncos. You can always find those axles for dirt cheap and cutting them down is fairly easy since the housing is all iron (no cast).

Hmmmm, well I'm positive those shafts are 33 spline. Can I use that housing and put 31 spline axles in it, or would it be better to just find a 9" out of a truck complete? And thanks for the quick response!

A few of the big block hi perf cars had 31 splines also. Look for the "N" cast in the carrer to build a bulit proof rear end. Those are very hard to find but if your running big hp very worth haveing. Good luck with it.

Hmm, well the only reason I said the 33 spline axles is because I already have them. I could probably find a set of 31 spline axles easily to put in it? I really don't want to go with a spool because it's still gonna be my DD. I don't know, should i just go D60?

woody431 said:
Hmm, well the only reason I said the 33 spline axles is because I already have them. I could probably find a set of 31 spline axles easily to put in it? I really don't want to go with a spool because it's still gonna be my DD. I don't know, should i just go D60?

Nah, your almost done with that one :)

you can get a thirdmamber with whatever gears and traction aiding device you want for $600-$800. Add $300 for alloy shafts, or <$100 at a pic-n-pull and you're ready to roll.

So what do you recommend for a 3rd member and axles? I might go with Strange for the axles, or look for a set of 31 splines around town. I know the guy that has the 3rd member to this rearend, but I don't know if he's using it or whatever, speaking of that, i'm gonna go talk to him. I'm sure I'll have more questions for ya B, since you're running a 9" and all. Thanks for the help

I'll throw my 2 cents in if you don't mind. To the best of my knowledge, unless you are going to use a spool, you will have to use the aftermarket large bearing carrier (inside dia. of 3.25 in for carrier bearings). There are a lot of companys making them but there is someone on ebay selling them brand new in the box for $195, $16 shipping, with a buy it now of $210 (great price, same one from Summit is $319).
About others suggestion of 31 spline shafts cut and splined, I would diffently consider it. There are a lot of EB guys running 31 spline 9 inch with no problems (of corse they don't wheel as hard as us. HA HA.....). I personally have seen lead footers with 36" on 31 splines, no problems.

Well, I'm trying to get ahold of the guy that has the 3rd member for this rear end so I might be able to use the Strange 33 spline. I planned on running 34" or 35" meats.

Back