• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 w/ a stubborn carrier

xjk9bar1

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any new idea's on how pull a stuborn carrier out? The ole' prior bar routine didn't work...I went at it for a 1/2 hour and then Led and I went at for another hour! The D44 just doesn't want to loose it's spool, I guess :)

I thought of using a case spreader, but heard bad things about that route. Is that my only option?

JoeyB

Haven't tried it, but try sitcking a rag between the pinion and ring gears and spin the yoke. Its supposed to pop the carrier out without damage.

put a closed-end wrench on one of the ring gear bolts, and point it toward the cieling...

spin the pinion.

NEVER try to remove a carrier using the pry method alone.

case spreaders are unecessary.

Lucas said:
Haven't tried it, but try sitcking a rag between the pinion and ring gears and spin the yoke. Its supposed to pop the carrier out without damage.

Using a rag between the pinion and ring gears has worked for me several times. Much more controlled and reliable than other methods I've tried. You may have to run the rag through several times, each time pushing the carrier out ever so slightly. -SNB

If you have the axle out under the rig, you'll only need a bottle jack, a few blocks and a strap.

ghetto.JPG

Definately several ways to skin this cat. If it's still in the vehicle hook a come along to your bumper and carrier. Just be ready to catch it.

ive had good luck hooking the winch to the carrier. similar to the methods above. be careful "catching" the carrier when it falls out. a local guy did that witha d60 carrier and it crushed his hand, the ring gear put some big cuts in tendons, and if i remember correctly called for some surgery. id go for the safe route and fill a box full of bubble wrap and just let it drop.

Hunter

Back