• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about bolting on long arm crossmember

korda

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on bolting my long arm crossmember to the uniframe. I've seen a few examples but I need something clarified for me. I've read and understand that it's a good idea to sleeve the bolts in the uniframe. My question is how exactly do you go about this. I drew this picture to help show what I'm asking.

boltthrough.jpg

When inserting the sleeve you must have to cut a hole big enough for the pipe to fit in on one side of the frame, correct? What side should it be? Do you just weld the sleeve to the frame on that side? Should I forget that and do it on both sides? I imagine you want the sleeve to be slightly smaller than the frame (Width) so that the bolt sqeezes the frame a little and the sleeve is not carrying the load of the crossmember? And lastly, what are people doing with the brake and fuel lines after putting bolts through? Just tying them back where the were?

Thanks for the help, I know that's a lot of questions. I just want to do this right.

If I were to use that method, I would drill a hole equal to the OD of the tubing on the outside of the frame rail and a hole equal to the ID of the tubing on the inside of the frame. I would also have the tubing be just a schoochie shorter than the width of the frame so that you would slightly squeeze the frame. And yes I would suggest putting the brake and fuel lines back in their orignal places. Unless you can think of a better place for them.

i just got rusty's long arm kit, and its nearly identicle to your diagram. he simply adds a flat brace for the inside of the frame railto disperse the bolt pressure. more like a frame rail sandwich.

I'd look into using rool pins as opposed to a pice of pipe so that it would apply pressure to the bolt and the frame and I'd also cut it so as to apply a clamping force on the unibody

xjmike said:
I'd look into using rool pins as opposed to a pice of pipe so that it would apply pressure to the bolt and the frame and I'd also cut it so as to apply a clamping force on the unibody

Do you mean a roll pin? Thanks, I'll look into that.

ZPD has it nailed.

I drilled a 1" hole through the outside of the "frame" and then used 1" OD, 9/16" ID DOM as sleeves.

CRASH

Last edited:
Back