• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12 bolt or 14 bolt

azxjman

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got back from cali on sunday with all the 12 bolt internals to put in the sopposed 12 bolt housing I had well I didnt take me long to figure out that all the internals I had were WAY to small so now I have a 14 bolt housing and gears brakes axles and a complete rebuild kit for a 12 bolt so now the question is do I get ride of the 14 bolt housing that already has the perches and shock mounts set up for my jeep and try to find a 12 bolt housing and get new perches welded and so on. Or do I sell my shafts brakes carrier yolk and return gears and rebuild kits since they are still in new packaging.

If it's not a full floater than it's a 9.5" ring gear 14B........junk essentially. Sure it's stronger than the 12B you were going to run but not nearly as strong as the 14B and way too large. Go FF or go home.........broken. :)

-jb

azxjman said:
so how do I tell the difference
Daryl, IIRC, a full floater used drive spindles. it'll look like it has hubs in the rear that can't be disconnected. (good luck, I had a ton of fun putting in my 4:56 gears today, axle work sucks.)

Say what?

Does the axleshaft remove without taking off the drum/disc? If so it's a FF. There are 8 bolts (I think) on the hub that hold the axleshaft to the hub. You can see these bolts on the end of the axle.

Essentially, the hub/drum or disc ride on a spindle just like a front. This way if you break an axleshaft the wheel doesn't fall off. :)

Here's some pics of mine before the discs & after: Axle pics

-jb

If yours doesn't have spindles on the end of the housing where the hubs go then it's not FF.

I dont know max on a 9.5" but I'd guess 35-36's would probably be it.

A FF is much stronger because the axleshaft doesn't carry any weight, all it has to do is transfer power from the diff. The spindles & hub bearings carry the weight of the vehicle.

I bought my 14B for $75 complete BTW, dont know what you got yours for but if you want bombproof and it's not FF then it might be time to sell it & get a more complete axle.

For the disc conversion you would need the rear hubs & the front rotors & calipers off a 3/4 ton 8 lug Chevy. I got my brackets from Great Lakes offroad for $55 with all hardware, 3/8" thick brackets.

-jb

I am not looking for a bullet proof axle I have never even broken my 8.25 axle on my current 35s the reason I decided to swap was to get more gear. And why would I need to disk brakes.

The drums on a SF 14 bolt are heavy...and I suspect the ones on a FF 14 are even heavier. (remember, these are axles from 3/4 and 1 ton trucks) If you want brakes that weigh less per side than your wheels/tires...you might want discs.

azxjman said:
I am not looking for a bullet proof axle I have never even broken my 8.25 axle on my current 35s the reason I decided to swap was to get more gear. And why would I need to disk brakes.

Yet another wasted thread. Good luck, dont ask for advice if you dont want any.

:peace:

-jb

hey now I do want a strong axle and I am willing to take advice but it is not in my avalibty to get a 14 ff so its usless to sugest it. I dont have 200 dollars to blow on an axle and just because I dont doesnt mean I wont take advice. I decided to sell the 14 bolt sf because of what you said about it so I did take some advice.

"dont have 200 dollars to blow on an axle"

Egad son, why even puff up then?

Take what's offered, and learn & grow your brain folder.

Being knowingly frugal isn't a fault, being blindly cheap is... That is one of the main things this forum is here for: exchanging knowledge on building better Jeeps that we can wheel with.

Stop, Look, Listen :D

Last edited:
a 12 bolt is a waste of money. don't build one.

stoney

why not build one you say there crap but as far as I can tell they are stronger than a 44 I understand that it is c-clip and that does suck but people run 8.25 axles all the time. Its not like I am putting all that much money in to it so far I have 75 bucks I got the gears and master install kits for free for the 12 bolt and now all I need is a housing. If someone has a suggestion of how to get a better axle than a 12 bolt for 75 bucks do tell.

Back